Super Delegates begind to drop there clinton support

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Super Delegates start to leave Hilary

Some black superdelegates reassess Clinton support
Posted: 11:47 PM ET
Some black lawmakers are reconsidering their support for Hillary Clinton.
Some black lawmakers are reconsidering their support for Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (AP) ? In a fresh sign of trouble for Hillary Rodham Clinton, one of the former first lady's congressional black supporters intends to vote for Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention, and a second, more prominent lawmaker is openly discussing a possible switch.

Rep. David Scott's defection and Rep. John Lewis' remarks highlight one of the challenges confronting Clinton in a campaign that pits a black man against a woman for a nomination that historically has been the exclusive property of white men.

"You've got to represent the wishes of your constituency," Scott said in an interview Wednesday in the Capitol. "My proper position would be to vote the wishes of my constituents." The third-term lawmaker represents a district that gave more than 80 percent of its vote to Obama in the Feb. 5 Georgia primary.

Lewis, whose Atlanta-area district voted 3-to-1 for Obama, said he is not ready to abandon his backing for the former first lady.

But several associates said the nationally known civil rights figure has become increasingly torn about his early endorsement of Clinton. They spoke on condition of anonymity, citing private conversations.

In an interview, Lewis likened Obama to Robert F. Kennedy in his ability to generate campaign excitement, and left open the possibility he might swing behind the Illinois senator. "It could (happen). There's no question about it. It could happen with a lot of people ? we can count and we see the clock," he said.

Clinton's recent string of eight primary and caucus defeats coincides with an evident shift in momentum in the contest for support from party officials who will attend the convention. The former first lady still holds a sizable lead among the roughly 800 so-called superdelegates, who are chosen outside the primary and
caucus system.

But Christine Samuels, until this week a Clinton superdelegate from New Jersey, said during the day she is now supporting Obama.

Two other superdelegates, Sophie Masloff of Pennsylvania and Nancy Larson of Minnesota, are uncommitted, having dropped their earlier endorsements of Clinton.

On Wednesday, David Wilhelm, a longtime ally of the Clintons who had been neutral in the presidential race, endorsed Obama...

It was predicted that this would happen and it is starting. The comments today that the super delegates would follow the lead of the public reinforce the fact that the dems are not willing to tear apart the party over this.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Look at the demographic, or ethnigraphic (if there's such a word), then tell me that this news is of any surprise.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Look at the demographic, or ethnigraphic (if there's such a word), then tell me that this news is of any surprise.
The big question is whether Hillary will ask for her bribes back.

There was a lot noice last spring about how Hillary was buying the support of black leaders by giving them donations.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
A few super delegates out of some 797 is not exactly decisive. The point being they could endorse Clinton, later endorse Obama, and then change their minds again depending on which way they think the wind blows.

Its a long way until the convention.

As Sherlock Holmes says, the game is afoot.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
M0RPH, you listening? :laugh:

The flood gates have been opened. The question is, how many are willing to cross a Clinton?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
When your district votes 3-1 in favor of one candidate, you better reassess what your priorities are when you endorse the other one. Imagine the campaign ads his competitor would run if he was part of giving Hillary the nomination.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The big question is whether Hillary will ask for her bribes back.

There was a lot noice last spring about how Hillary was buying the support of black leaders by giving them donations.

both have been giving to so-called superdelegates.
Obama has given close to $700,000 from his Hope PAC and campaign accounts. Although Obama has said he doesn't take federal lobbyist's money or money from PACs, Obama's HopePac did

Obama gave $694,000 (40% of his superdelegates)
Clinton gave $195,500 (12% of her superdelegates)

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Pabster

The flood gates have been opened. The question is, how many are willing to cross a Clinton?

Well when you have 80-90% of blacks voting for Obama, I guess as a black superdelegate you need to be a little bit nervous about what might happen to you if you DON'T follow in line. Blacks gotta stick together, right?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: M0RPH

Well when you have 80-90% of blacks voting for Obama, I guess as a black superdelegate you need to be a little bit nervous about what might happen to you if you DON'T follow in line. Blacks gotta stick together, right?

Sounds like you need to be voting for Shmuckabee.

Jun 27, 2005

Race card! We have a race card sighting!!!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Sorry, it's just the way it is. The blacks will chose someone who can best be their voice in government. Do you think that person would be Hillary, in their view? Not so, daddy-o

Jun 27, 2005

Sorry, it's just the way it is. The blacks will chose someone who can best be their voice in government. Do you think that person would be Hillary, in their view? Not so, daddy-o

Well... voting for a fellow black person is a wee bit different than the suggestion posted up by our good friend MORPH, isn't it?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

So I guess you feel the same about 80-90% of blacks voting Democrat then too?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

:laugh:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50

So I guess you feel the same about 80-90% of blacks voting Democrat then too?

That's because they want free liberal programs shits, all those educated high income earners. It just happens that now they can get it from a brotha, you dig what I'm saying?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I wonder how long some of the pro-hillary dreamers here will continue to deny the severe jeopardy her campaign is in...

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

It's remarkable how quickly and comfortably Hillary supporters (and Hillary's own campaign) slips right into race-baiting politics when necessary. After years and years of criticizing Republicans for this very thing - remember Willie Horton? - it just rolls right off their tongue.

The hypocrisy is disgusting.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
It's remarkable how quickly and comfortably Hillary supporters (and Hillary's own campaign) slips right into race-baiting politics when necessary. After years and years of criticizing Republicans for this very thing - remember Willie Horton? - it just rolls right off their tongue.

I agree. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm not surprised by the quick draw of the race card and various other acts of desperation from Team Clinton.

I still fully expect her to try and steal it from Obama before the day is through.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

I agree. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I'm not surprised by the quick draw of the race card and various other acts of desperation from Team Clinton.

I still fully expect her to try and steal it from Obama before the day is through.

Well, yeah she will. It's allowed in the rules. The problem isn't Hillary but this whole superdelegate nonsense. The Dems had better fix this crap before they have their own Florida Bush/Gore scenario if it isn't already too late.