Super-Computer for home?

bkelly13

Nov 23, 2021
I am calculating how much it would cost to build each unit of a super computer sized for home use or maybe for universities for student use.

Initial size calculations for a box of 16 processors, 64 cores, with separate memory for each is about 12 x 27 x 15 centimeters, or about 5 x 11 x 6 inches. That is using the size of the Raspberry PI Computer Module 3, then adding in the size of a standard desktop computer memory stick. The number of computer boxes would be limited only by one's budget.

The most important question is: How much memory for each processor? What would you consider to be a minimum, a maybe ideal amount, and how much would be more than its worth?
Some quick price lookups return 8 Gig = $38, 16 Gig $55 and 32 is $105.

Or maybe someone has already done this. I cannot come up with a good search phrase.

Edit
I should clarify my use of the word supercomputer. I use it as a collection of a relatively large number of CPUs, each with its own memory, the maximum number of which is generally limited only by funds. They can be programmed en-masse to run a single program with different or shared data, or programmed individually.
Do you have a better definition or a better word to describe what I am after?
Thank you for your time.

Last edited: