Question Super Cheap non gaming graphics card to use in place of HD4600?

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I'm trying to rehabilitate a few computers here at work on the cheap. Our purchasing guy actually has a decent SFF from HP that is severely hamstrung by its pedestrian HDD. Anywho, I'm throwing some extra RAM, replacing the HDD with an SSD and looking to alleviate any further CPU struggle by installing a super cheap video card to replace the HD4600. I'm not sure it's even worth it for as little as I'll be able to spend. The 710 2GB on Newegg right now for $55 is already probably more than is worth to spend.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I don't see any reason to replace the integrated graphics for your use case. The integrated graphics dont impact CPU performance at all. Unless the GPU is struggling to run what you need, just stick with it.

Reactions: Mopetar

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Honestly swapping in an SSD is going to make it feel faster than anything else you do to it. If it's just for some light use and web browsing you don't need a dedicated GPU unless you were wanting to run multiple displays for some reason.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Well, revisiting this thread because the OTHER computer I'm refurbing has a (likely) failing video card. It's older, but plenty spec'd for the general office use the guy who's getting it is going to do. It has an i7-2700K and therefore HD 3000 graphics. But...Win 10 does not have drivers for HD 3000. Options? I've got a little money to play with and I'm not opposed to buying used either, but, I really don't want to slog through eBay for reputable sellers looking for non burned out GPUs if I don't have to.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Well, revisiting this thread because the OTHER computer I'm refurbing has a (likely) failing video card. It's older, but plenty spec'd for the general office use the guy who's getting it is going to do. It has an i7-2700K and therefore HD 3000 graphics. But...Win 10 does not have drivers for HD 3000. Options? I've got a little money to play with and I'm not opposed to buying used either, but, I really don't want to slog through eBay for reputable sellers looking for non burned out GPUs if I don't have to.

I'd recommend a Geforce 1030. It's several generations newer than a Geforce 710, so it is likely to keep driver support for a while longer.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
That and the performance is a step up as well (though not terribly needed for office work). The trick is finding it for the cheapest! :)
Where do those that buy used video cards get their cards? eBay? FS/FT? Somewhere else?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

HD3000 works fine in Windows 10. When Windows 10 is installed, it will install the driver for the HD3000. There was an issue for a while (years ago now) where it didn't work. But that was resolved and last I had to install on an older system, it worked fine. Its technically the Windows 8.1 driver, but that version of WDDK works fine with 10.

NOTE: There is no download from Intel for it though.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Hmm...anyone else have info on HD 3000 on Win 10? That would be cool. How does HD 3000 actually do? Basic office tasks and web browsing.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Hmm...anyone else have info on HD 3000 on Win 10? That would be cool. How does HD 3000 actually do? Basic office tasks and web browsing.

For day to day usage its fine. 4K video playback may not be the best. But chances are they have a 1080P display, so it will not be an issue.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
For day to day usage its fine. 4K video playback may not be the best. But chances are they have a 1080P display, so it will not be an issue.

I've "used" HD 3000 w/Windows 10 too. It's fine.

Rather than the 1030 (with the nvidia value tax it seems, because all nvidia cards can game amiright?) I would look to the RX 460. It performs fine, or the GTX 950 has been a staple for my builds that need a card that "do something" but can also operate with less than ideal power supplies. These are ~half the price of a 1030.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Where are we buying these? eBay? Newegg just lists a bunch of outrageously priced cards from 3rd party sellers.

So a quick sold search on eBay yields new RX 460 cards for ~$90 to $100 and a bunch of GT1030s for $80.
Used prices are also comparable ($50-$60) with the GT1030s being slightly cheaper on the whole.
Used prices on GTX 950 seem to be about $35/$45.
I don't see any nvidia value tax on the 1030. I can get a new fanless one from Newegg for $81 or with a fan for $90.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Where are we buying these? eBay? Newegg just lists a bunch of outrageously priced cards from 3rd party sellers.

So a quick sold search on eBay yields new RX 460 cards for ~$90 to $100 and a bunch of GT1030s for $80.
Used prices are also comparable ($50-$60) with the GT1030s being slightly cheaper on the whole.
Used prices on GTX 950 seem to be about $35/$45.
I don't see any nvidia value tax on the 1030. I can get a new fanless one from Newegg for $81 or with a fan for $90.

Oh yeah, ebay used buy it now prices, no auctions. Including shipping.

I found RX 460's for $50 just a bit ago. GT1030's I am seeing look like even used are buy it now ~$70 at which point I would just go new.

I say the 1030 has a value tax as it isn't faster at anything meaningful than the GTX 950 and RX 460 are. They all will accelerate desktop browsers and have dedicated framebuffers. Woohoo.

The real value starts with RX 470's, but that's pretty far out of the scope of what you are trying to accomplish. What's so hard to believe is where did all the cheap GPUs go that have been sold over the years? Once upon a time you could get *real* video cards new for $50. HD Intel graphics killed those, I think.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I'm typing this post on a i7-2700K with just the hd3000 on Windows 10 Pro 2004
I use this thing everyday for work and usually have Citrix and VMWare sessions going and use it exactly for office work.
You should not have to install anything.
At most if you want to see the Intel control panel, you have to install that from the windows store "Intel Graphics Control Panel "

Allow me to be clear. I have used this rig for everything except gaming and its all on the HD3000.

Why you would throw a video card into any Intel based system made in the past decade set for office duty is beyond me.
Any HD2XXX+ and higher is perfectly fine for office work.

If you are dealing with old equipment, chuck the HDD's and use SSD's. That alone will be a game changer.
From there, with a 4gb minimum, up RAM based on intended usage.
For general "MS office junkies" 4gb ram is fine.
For people who think "I MUST HAVE ALL DOCS OPEN WHILE 30 TABS ARE OPEN IN CHROME" types...that's more a psychiatrist problem than computer problem.

Reactions: blckgrffn