'Sup with UPI?

Nov 17, 2019
UPI (United Press International) is one of the news sites I checked daily. For the last two days, this is all I see:

UPI.com is temporarily unavailable
Last Updated: May 10, 2021 4:00pm
Please check back at a later time for updates
We apologize for the inconvenience

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Well I get my news from Reddit so...

As an aside, anyone else know how to get people to stop laughing when they express their political views?

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Don't have laughable political views?

I constantly remind myself that even the dumbest people who barely made it through high-school seem to think that they are somehow experts at politics (as well as climate science and virology and electricity and automotive technology and cyber security and and and...) simply because they have read an article or a news headline. It is sad how these mental midgets think that they are prepared to discuss or debate things that they have such limited knowledge about. For now, they don't debate open heart surgery but once the GOP finds a way to politicize it, they will be experts on that as well.

Reactions: iRONic

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wow...ai had no idea they had fallen so far. I remember them being a respected news organization. I didn't realize they had been bought by the Moonies back in the 80's...and have had repeated financial problems.
Too bad.

Nov 17, 2019
See, that's what I'm getting at. What is the deal? Why is the site down? Hacked? Or something else? I can't find out anything about it in searches.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I constantly remind myself that even the dumbest people who barely made it through high-school seem to think that they are somehow experts at politics (as well as climate science and virology and electricity and automotive technology and cyber security and and and...) simply because they have read an article or a news headline. It is sad how these mental midgets think that they are prepared to discuss or debate things that they have such limited knowledge about. For now, they don't debate open heart surgery but once the GOP finds a way to politicize it, they will be experts on that as well.
Ah, yes, the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Reactions: Vic

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Something going on with their registration

Domain:
upi.com

Registrar:
NameCheap, Inc.

Registered On:
1995-04-19

Expires On:
2022-04-20

Updated On:
2021-05-10

clientTransferProhibited

Name Servers:
dns1.registrar-servers.com
dns2.registrar-servers.com

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Never heard of UPI...

...though now I look them up, quite surprised to find they are (or once were) considered on a par with Reuters and AP. I mean, those other two are very familiar names, and have been for my whole life. Not sure if I once did know of UPI and would have put them in the same catagory as those two, and have just somehow over the years entirely forgotten about their existence...or if it's that they were always a bit more US-specific than those two?

Either way sounds like they have fallen dramatically in profile compared to other news agencies.

Nov 17, 2019
The layout is more tiled than I remember. Rueters just changed theirs too and it became more pictures than words. Like they think their readers can't ... you know ... read.

UPI isn't quite that bad, so far.