Sunni main party will not even talk to US over killing

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Looks like some one miscalculated or this is just an mis understood result, but a IIP party official wound up dead, and the IIP is really PO'd. The IIP version is shot in his own bed by the US, and if the Sunnis can't be convinced otherwise, dire things could happen.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq

Where it goes from here is anyone's guess, but its not looking good for GWB in terms of getting his security agreement passed in any as is state. And the Shia's have similar doubts which pretty well seals the deal. But the timing of this could not be worse, and now Iraq is almost certain to drag its feet past November 4.

As it is, GWB had better get someone out there to mend some Sunni fences fast,
or some real violence could erupt.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
This thread was here for like an hour and a half and no one replied.
I guess Iraq is no longer important to Americans.

I sort of think many Americans have declared 'victory' or 'failure' and moved on.
Sad, really. Our kids are still over there.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree with techs, the US is like a group of people who hold an entire auditorium of people hostage because they have the better guns. But just one spark in the wrong place, and the whole damn auditorium will burst into flames, and then we will be lucky to get just some of our people out alive.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Iraq still matters, a lot. It's just been shuffled down in the deck because of the relative calm and our own election.

This incident shows us that politics is still a blood sport in Iraq. Assassination and accusations of it are commonly used tools, and have been all along, particularly under american imposed chaos. It seems to be waning, and that's a good thing, for sure.

There will be no security agreement until after our election, until the Iraqis see which way the wind blows, and how they can make the best of it. that really hasn't changed a bit. They're not stupid, and they're not about to give GWB anything they don't have to give him.