Sunless Sea

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Anyone playing this? I saw it on TotalBiscuit's WTF series and it looked and sounded cool. Was $17.09 on steam so I bought it.

Played a bit and it doesn't seem as cool as when he was playing it, haha.

Seems really hard unless I am missing something. I rarely have any money and you need money to buy fuel and supplies so you can travel to make money, so not having any money means I can't do anything.

Even when you do make money it's pitiful amounts and not enough to do anything with.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Got it yesterday and I have died like seven time. I was really rolling one time, had new engines and everything, but then I went off the map to the north... it was a bad time. Haven't tried it on easy mode yet.

Last edited:

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Anyone playing this? I saw it on TotalBiscuit's WTF series and it looked and sounded cool. Was $17.09 on steam so I bought it.

Played a bit and it doesn't seem as cool as when he was playing it, haha.

Seems really hard unless I am missing something. I rarely have any money and you need money to buy fuel and supplies so you can travel to make money, so not having any money means I can't do anything.

Even when you do make money it's pitiful amounts and not enough to do anything with.

Agree with everything.

It's uber hard. Can't do anything, die often and never really get very far.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
TotalBiscuit's main complaint was that it takes to long to get a new ship? Anyone concur?

I think it looks like a brilliant game, apparently a lot of lore and story too

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Got it yesterday and I have died like seven time. I was really rolling one time, had new engines and everything, but then I went off the map to the north... it was a bad time. Haven't tried it on easy mode yet.
Whats easy mode? Only thing i know of is that you can save manually?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
TotalBiscuit's main complaint was that it takes to long to get a new ship? Anyone concur?

I think it looks like a brilliant game, apparently a lot of lore and story too
Yep, hard to get money. So if you upgrade your ship or buy a new one and die do you lose it too? I assume so

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
it doesn't seem as cool as when he was playing it,
anything can be improved by reducing the quantity of TotalBiscuit it contains. If you say the game is better when he plays it, i know it will be bad.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
had a stressful situation in-game last night. was on the opposite side of the map, got knocked down to 4 crew members from a pirate attack on 1 of the islands and that apparently limits your speed to half. I then got knocked down to 1 crew member while using full speed and the engine blew up.

I made it back to Fallen London with 3 hull left and 94 terror.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well for another 90 minutes. I played for about a half hour and it didn't feel like my kind of game at this point.

I like the atmosphere/lore stuff, but not the gameplay much. From posts it might get a little better if you learn how to get more supplies.

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Sorry to wake up a sleeping beast.

These guys have a new game coming out called Sunless Sky which is a sequel to Sunless Sea which I haven't played.

Just wondering how much of a horror game this is? Doom was like the most horrific game I played, so not a huge fan, but this game and the sequel look interesting.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005

These guys have a new game coming out called Sunless Sky which is a sequel to Sunless Sea which I haven't played.

Just wondering how much of a horror game this is? Doom was like the most horrific game I played, so not a huge fan, but this game and the sequel look interesting.

It's more a bit on the dark side than a real horror game.
Has a heavy 1800's Steampunk type vibe to it more than anything else.

It's based on the Fallen London universe, which you can play online and get some extensions/mods for Sunless Sea from:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/

Actually has a decent background and lore set up, and I've only played Sunless Sea for a few hours - tough game resource wise.

There is also Sunless Sea: Zubmariner, an extension to Sunless Sea.

Sunless Skies is still in development . . . all three are available on GOG and Steam.

Reactions: paperfist

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

The bit I've played, it's mostly a text game, so stuff about 'you encounter a monster', they say you eat your crew in hunger. It's mostly notable for long sort of literary passages. I found it hard to know what to do next and punishing on resources and didn't play much.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I played Sunless Sea for a bit. Can't comment on Sunless Sky. I'd say the horror is more like Poe or Lovecraft. It's not the gory, scare you out of your pants, type of horror.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Thanks guys!

It sounds a bit like Faster Than Light which is a game I tried to enjoy but irritated the hell out of me.

Shame cause both of these Sunless games have a pretty cool art direction to them and the level of horror doesn't sound bad.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's not that hard. Go out and explore. Get shit done. If you fiddle around London you will starve.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's not that hard. Go out and explore. Get shit done. If you fiddle around London you will starve.

No, got out and explore and you will get attacked and starve and run out of resources.

I didn't stay in London.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
No, got out and explore and you will get attacked and starve and run out of resources.

I didn't stay in London.

Dunno. I ran all over the place getting port reports and just avoided things in the starter ship. You also get a bunch of $ from moving those stones from that place to london. Its not far. Keep your lights out. terror is easy to manage.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
hmm it's less than a quarterpounder, fries and diet coke at McDonalds at gog.com.

It's got that Bastion look to it. I think I'll take a bite now.

Dunno. I ran all over the place getting port reports and just avoided things in the starter ship. You also get a bunch of $ from moving those stones from that place to london. Its not far. Keep your lights out. terror is easy to manage.

So it is stingy with resources like FTL?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
hmm it's less than a quarterpounder, fries and diet coke at McDonalds at gog.com.

It's got that Bastion look to it. I think I'll take a bite now.

So it is stingy with resources like FTL?

Just play it. Get into the mythos. I'm big into hp lovecraft stuff so it appeals to me.

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015

I didn't stay in London.
It's been awhile since I played, but I remember getting fuel and supplies from some of the repeatable activities, not sure if it was port reports or something similar. I kept the light off, used paths from place to place where I stayed in the light as much as possible, and avoided monsters, ended up having too much fuel and supplies once I got the hang of the process.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Not a bad little game so far. It kind of reminds me of Pirates! a bit as you sort of go port to port trading and adventuring.

It's also not as punishing as FTL as I thought it was going to be. Yeah, my first game sucked, ran out of fuel seconds before making it back to London dock. Fark, where's the current to float me in :D

I'm getting the hang of combat, don't really understand trade yet. I need some Mutersalt for a quest and I found a port that has it, but it's greyed out for purchase and I seem to have enough funds. Trade in general I'm not getting, I buy stuff in London and I haven't come across another port that wants to buy it.

Thanks @JSt0rm for the tips. Keeping the lights off keeps me out of trouble and saves a ton on fuel!

Reactions: JSt0rm