Summer Florida Vacation, which month is good?

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
Our family (2A, 2C 9 & 6) want to go to Florida for a vacation. I've said if I am going, I want to finally visit the Gulf side. So, my wife and I have heard some friends talk about Sanibel Island. It sounds nice.

I am heat adverse, given that, which would be the kindest month for me; June, July, or August?

Sanibel looks crowded. I'm looking for less crowded things to do. Yea, Disney is going to be on the itinerary, but for one day only. I dread that day.

Can anyone recommend some other nice natural places to visit (beaches, parks, preserves), few crowds.

Someone at work mentioned at some large city about an hour away from Sanibel, they went out on the ocean on jet skis and saw lots of sea turtles and dolphins. That sounded real cool. Anyone have firsthand experience with such, refer me to. I'd like to call and see if I can take my kids out.

I saw a PBS show on the Florida Aquifers, the underground rivers, that they drain into wide open pools, then continue on underground. They had show people swimming in the pools of crystal clear water. This I want to do.

Thanks.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I think the panhandle(Destin area) has the best beaches, but thats a good distance from orlando.

Heller

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2006
Dude please stay at the marco island marriot.

its a bit expensive but, well worth it.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
You're heat averse? Don't go there during the summer. Spring or Fall.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
If you are heat adverse why are you going to Florida in the summer? Now is a good time to go. Otherwise, well, you are pretty much SOL, it is HOT from May to Sept.

Personally I think it is kind of a waste to just have one day at Disney. Disneyworld is HUGE, there are 4 parks. It is most crowded during the summer, you will be lucky to get on 10 rides.

Everglades is fun in the summer... ;)

Again, now is a good time to go, or try the early spring or late fall. Stay away from FL in the summer if you hate heat, it is the suck.

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
I had some thoughts of the panhandle as well. Right now, we're flexible. We don't have to spend a whole week at one place or the other. My wife has reletives in Orlando, so we will be there for a few. Panhandle isn't out of the question.

I've heard that is where south Florida vacations in the summer. Could I be too late for planning? Is it a lower temp in the summer?

I forgot to mention, I hope I can maintain some type of budget. I'm on a midwesterner's salary, I'm not at south FL or NYC levels.

bapace

Jul 7, 2004
I live on the Atlantic side, near Cape Canaveral. Visit this site for the underground rivers/springs that you speak of...

Florida Springs

Sanibel Island is nice, not as crowded as you might think. STAY AWAY FROM FLORIDA IN JULY AND AUGUST. Out of the months you listed, June will be the least scorching, and you are least likely to have hurricane issues (June-Nov 31st is hurricane season). In my 3 years here, they have hit the hardest towards August-Sept.

Clearwater is a very nice beach near Tampa. You should check that out if you are on the Gulf Side. If you make it south to Ft. Myers, there is a high speed ferry that goes to Key West in about 1.5-3 hours....great trip and the snorkeling is best in Key West.

-bapace

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Savij
You're heat averse? Don't go there during the summer. Spring or Fall.

uh, don't go in the fall.... hurricane season. april is the best time. most places have opening of the beaches parades/festivals or whatever. it's beach weather, but not harsh.

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
St. Petersburg for the Salvador Dali museum! :)

Fort Myers is also great.

That (Dali) has never come up in our review of things. Thanks.

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the comments, however, with kids in school, my time is limited to the summer. So June would be the least harsh of the three. That is what I thought, but since I don't live there, I didn't want to assume.

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: bapace
I live on the Atlantic side, near Cape Canaveral. Visit this site for the underground rivers/springs that you speak of...

Florida Springs

-bapace
Thanks, that looks exactly like what I was thinking of. I even dreamed the other night of snorkeling in one of these pools.

On the Atlantic side! So much to do, so little time.

Bob151

Apr 13, 2000
Oh, yea. Spring Break didn't fit in everyone schedule, so we booked a Captiva Island house for mid June.

Thanks all.