Suicide

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
A friend of mine is thinking of commiting suicide. He's incredibly depressed and it goes on and off. He feels like he's alone in this world. What can I say, how can I convince him its not the thing to do? He's incredibly bright in his own way, and I can tell he would have an incredible future if he'd just live. What can I say?

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
:(Man Evan....this is such a tough issue. Lots of people at one time or another have suicidal thoughts. My best friend has tried 4 times....and she knows she is being a coward, but sometimes she gets so depressed and unbalanced she just goes off. She knows what she is doing when she does it, but she does it still. She does have lupus and is on and off a lot of presciption drugs, but she knows better than to blame them in her circumstance....and yes I know sometimes drugs can make you do weird things. I do not let her get away with feeling sorry for herself though. I tell her how mad that makes me. I tell her that there are so many people that do not get the chance to live a full life through circumstance....accidents, life threatening illness, violence. It so much harder to live than to just give up. I could preach a long time on this subject....but I know this thread is gonna get long....so....I hope you direct this person to this thread. They are worth it no matter who they are.

Thinking positive thoughts....

Crystal

Swoopman

Sep 25, 2000
Damn, I don't know what to tell ya. A couple of years ago I had a suicidal girlfriend. I stopped her several times. I really don't know what to tell you to tell him. The stuff I told my g/f probably wouldn't work here. This is a different situation so it calls for different measures. I just don't know what those measures are. Good luck.

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
if your friend is telling you about his attempts and thoughts, he's reaching out for help, although it may not be obvious, and he's wanting the attention. the best thing I can recommend is tell him to seek help: school counselor or his parents..and they should take steps from there. although most suicidal ppl I've met (most of them online) are suicidal because of family/parents problem so I'm not sure if he'll be willing to turn to them for help, or anybody at all. so basically it's your call - and getting help is probably the best thing if he's truly serious about suicide.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ltk007,

Seek help in the REAL world, from REAL people who are TRAINED in this.

Russ, NCNE

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I'm with nero, he wants help, but this isnt something you should have to deal with. Get his parents involved, he needs counseling.