suggestions on o/c system

higmeista

Oct 13, 2000
Hey,
I had ordered my CPU, mobo and memory through StepThermodynamics, but I'm very dissatisfied with their results. So I'm going to be returning the hardware to them, and now I'm on a new search for hardware components, specifically the CPU, mobo and RAM. I've been reading through these forums alot lately just trying to figure out what's the best overclocking gear right now.
Do you guys have suggestions as to what I should go for?
I'm leaning towards Intel, but from what I see, a lot of people are getting good results from the Tbirds. I'm probably going to go with the Asus CUSL2 since so many people have been getting good results with that. And I'm not quite sure what RAM to go with, but I know a lot of people have been using the Mushkins. Also, what cooling system is best? I'm thinking of probably going arctic silver with an Alpha cooler.
I'm open to all suggestions, but be as specific as possible. Thanks so much.

Goosey

Oct 25, 2000
It's very simply there are only a few choices in my mind:

Intel Pentium III New Stepping running at 1000MHz
Duron 600MHz running at 1000MHz or more
TBird 750MHz running at 1000MHz or more (Copper Dresden)

Motherboard
ABIT BX-133 Raid (BX Chipset, best overall performance)
ABIT KT7-Raid (Raid, ATA-100, Socket A) you got it all!

Video Card
Geforce 2 MX or better

Sound Card
SB Live Value

Memory
A must is the Kingmax PC150 2-2-2 at 150MHz Bus (Must Get!)

Also get the artic silver grease but slap on a FOB38, it smokes the Alpha by a good 12F Degress at least! According to Hardocp.com and myself...

And even though Asus makes fantastic board, why not get the same quality and get Raid + ATA100! Best of both worlds!

Any questions just holler!

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
i dotn know much about durons so im asking this. U said duron 600 reaching 1000 or more. wouldn't duron 650 or higher reach them more? i know u'll have less % in increase but anything with 1ghz is fast now.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
most durons o/c to 900. some do 950. 1000 is rare but 60% of duron 700's hit that mark.

Goosey

Oct 25, 2000
All depends on the week you get! I got a duron 600 running at 1080MHz with a FOP38. And week 36's have been hitting 1100MHz also! PCNut.com is selling them pre-tested at 1000MHz.

What I have found is that usually the lower end chips do better... Especially with the new chip's, 1GHz is becoming very common.

xizor

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2000
just so you know the CUSL2 is not Socket A, so you can't put a Thunderbird in it.

xizor