suggestions for a new joystick

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
I have a sindewinder 3d pro that just isn't connecting with my system. Sometimes it will work but since I changed motherboards, I can't even get that. It just shows as not connected. So I'm in search of a new joystick. I was actually thinking of getting a decent joystick with a separate throttle unit. A quick trip to CompUSA showed me absolutely nothing. I mostly play MechWarrior. Any suggestions?

As far as the sidewinder goes; my gamepad is detected, I tried MS's driver for it, and a couple other solutions they had but to no avail. I have a SB PCI64. Kudos if someone can figure this out but nobody has come up with a good solution over in general hardware.

StickHead

Sep 28, 2000
I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Digital(long enough name Logitech?) I love it. I play Heavy Gear 2 and having a 8-pos hat is real sweet. Plus the Wingman profiler will let you custimize the buttons for just about any game out there.

Davbaron

Sep 3, 2000
Cavingjan - Here are some other forum posts which show a problem with new computers and the MS FFPro ( original ). I have this joystick and it shows as "not connected ". I cannot resolve it as yet.
However, my efforts may help you - Go to Microsoft's Sidewinder website and go to downloads. You will see an offer to download ( 7 mb ) some new software for joysticks etc - Software 3.02 I think it's called. BELOW that is a patch for 3dPro joysticks that are shown as not connected when used with "some new computers" - This may be apposite to your problem. Worth a try!
Unfortunately there is no patch for the force feedback Pro ( my joystick !)

Forum posts

Help. I recently purchased a new Gateway which came loaded with Windows ME. I cannot use my MS FF Pro with the new computer. After numerous emails and phone calls with MS, they have determined that Windows ME and the subject joystick will not work together. They advise that I purchase the new FF Pro 2 when it is released. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?"

Yup, my FF Pro stopped working when I upgraded to ME. Couldn't find a solution so I did surrender and buy new hardware...Logitech.
-^Vandal^

How widespread is this problem?
Could it be that it only applies to new systems loaded with ME by the big sellers, ie Dell, Gateway et al? If so, i have a problem 'cos ihave a new puter on order using ME
has anyone bought such a system and is using their joystick OK?
Would Microsoft do something like this, considering they are both their products ?

Yes- I now have my new system with ME from a large mail vendor where ME is pre loaded and guess what? The Forcefeedback Pro doesn't connect!
At Anandtech.com the peripherals forum there someone has connected via USB and says all is OK. My conection is via gameport plug. How do i get a USB connection? Adaptor or something.?
If I have to buy another stick I'm damned if I want to give MS any money unless I have to.
I want a force feedback stick .
benvandal - Your Logitech? Is it feedback and does it work with ME OK? Is your ME pre-loaded by a big firm?
Would be obliged for answers,Please.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Davbaron: Tried all those patches and just about everything thing else they suggested and didn't suggest. I can understand problems with this since it was their first joystick of this nature. However I would be highly upset if the newer FFPro didn't work with their newest OS. I know its a huge company but a little more testing with their own hardware should have eliminated this problem. The least they should do is offer a discount for a new joystick. The thing I was disappointed with the newer joysticks is that they are back to 8 buttons. I remember in both MW2 and MW3 there were many times when I wish I could have used another 5 buttons than the 8 they gave us. Right now I'm leaning toward the Logitech Force 3D. Of course I could just wait until they release MW4 and hope for a bundle deal. And watch my piloting skills head down the toilet in the process.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
I sorta got my sidewinder 3d pro to work but half the buttons aren't available. It will last me for a little while. Anybody know if MS will release MW4 and the FF2 as a bundle? That would probably solve most of my problems.

Strike

Sep 29, 2000
Hey People,

I have/had the same problem.

Here is the deal. If you keep looking on the MS site, you should find them admit that the MS SideWinder Precision Pro has problems with systems with bus speeds at or over 100MHZ. ( Not sure if all models or just particular ones. I have the Prec. Pro and no workie. )

Mine is above this by a tad and mine does not work. I expect my new Logitech Force 3d to arrive today. Amazon has them for $44. But, if you have never used Buy.com order there and use a $10 coupon number to reduce the price to around $35. See www.dvdpricesearch for all the coupons available at Buy.com

Strike

Davbaron

Sep 3, 2000
Strike - very interesting post indeed. It's the front bus then ? Whatever it is I can't get MS to help me on a personal level yet. Could you please reply re your Logitech when you get it as to whether
1 Does it work OK?
2. Is it USB - I have been told that all USB sticks will work OK
3. Are you using windows ME ? OEM ? Were you using that system when you had the problem?

If MS are slow on a patch or whatever for the FF Pro ( original ) then I will haveto get another joystick. With a new FF Pro 2 on the market I have my doubts they will make the original work!!

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Strike: That is the same joystick I was thinking of getting. Right now its a toss up between whatever is bundled with MW4 (if at all) or Logitech's Force 3D. Looks sweet especially since you can use any button as a shift. Let us know what you think of it.

Teatowel

Sep 22, 2000

The Logitech Wingman Force is an excellent joystick - it also gives you the choice of serial or USB. I have had no problems under W95, W98 or Windows Me.

Strike

Sep 29, 2000
Hey Guys,

Well I got my Wingman in on Wednesday. Pretty nice, but I am still debating whether I like it. You may have noticed I posted a question about it. Mine doesn't center the stick automatically. It droops to the rightt a bit and is enough to cause a mech to constantly walk right when not being held. I actually called Logitech about it and they are sending me a new one. I am not even sure whether this is defective or not, but another stick to compare it to is cool.

Overall, I like it a bunch, it is USB only and comes with good drivers and a profiler. Their is a site created by the wingman development team that has lots of info, drivers, and profiles. nice support.

I think it is a good replacement for my Sidewinder, but I may have been better of without the Force feedback. I may have to return one of them to get the non-force to compare it to.

I read a review on it at some gamer site and they gave it top marks. Even with the droop, I still like it. ...Im kind of anti-MS ;-)

oh, and I am using win98SE full and my Sidewinder would not work with my system as described in my sig.

I will let you know after I get the other stick.

Strike

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

Hey People,

Thought I would give you an update on my joystick saga.

I got another Force 3D from Logitech after the 1st one tilted to the right a bit. I figured the thing didn't center too well. Anyway, got the replacement and it too drooped to the right. I assume this is just the way it is. Playing mechwarrior was a pain in the butt with this stick cause you have to find dead center to keep from moving. Sometime this was really hard as I would walk in place or slowly turn one way or another.

Well, I returned the new one and got an Extreme Digital 3D..... and I love it! the thing is great. No force feedback, but for me... who cares!

I highly recommend it. If you want force feedback, you will have to center yourself it seems, but if your a non-force fan, then this is a great stick..

Strike

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
I got the Logitech Wingman Force 3d for $31.40 shipped from; http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/

Excellent for Crimson Skies with the 3d control. Short on buttons, and weaker FF than the Standard Wingman Force. Can't go too wrong with that price. I likes it's size also.

You can find the Wingman Force for under $60 shipped someplaces. Has very strong feedback, and nice feel.

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
logitech new wing man rumble pad kick's a$s if your lookin for a game pad, its soo awsome, i got mine from compusa for like 20.00 bux cause i worked there. but if ya want i can get ya a copy of my reciept, and you can say your buddy got it for that price why cant you? go late on a saturday night that's when there weakest,

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Thanks. I forgot about Gravis. How is their software? I was looking at the elimanator precision pro. Looks nice.

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
Cavingjan,
I don't know, it doesn't bother me to use the keyboard. for and extra few that I "might" use" I don't like running the Logitech profiler software either. I have seen it drastically slow down games when they work great without it.

Rumble Pad;
After getting one, I am dissappointed with the Dpad. I have problems getting the Dpad to point strait up sometimes, and it doesn't seem to work good for games like streetfighter, and MK2, however it is better than the MS freestyly pro's. The 2 analog sticks are slippery. Other than that it's a damn fine controller (I wish NHL2001 had used it's rumble though). So far, I haven't found a game that I want to use it with that takes advantage of the rumble. I have read some people prefer the Gravis pads.