Suggestion for a new air cooler for an 8800 GT

Jmartin

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2003
Basically BFG's new warranty sucks and since i can no longer find my proof of purchase my warranty isnt valid. Even though i bought the card last year and the warranty was lifetime they changed it this year to limited lifetime and required me have a POP.

Anyways...my second BFG 8800 GT OC is sitting here with me needing a new cooling system. My original heatsink for the card has a faulty fan on it and is about to die on me. Can anyone suggest a vga cooler that isnt horribly expensive, will work with this card perfectly, and doesnt take up much more space then the stock heatsink does?

I need to order this soon :/

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Errr, I would say Accelero except it is most certainly bigger. Maybe the EVGA Akimbo or the Zalman VF900...

Jmartin

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2003
akimbo is the video card though correct? That looks like something i need but the akimbo is the card itself. The zalman looks like it just covers the gpu itself...id like to include the vram as well. I was looking at a few but man they seem like they take up two slots below the card itself. Im not looking to OC the crap out of the card..i just want something for simple good cooling. I wish they made a replacement like the one on this card.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
If you can find an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev 3 I would go with that. I have the Silencer 5 but I believe it is Rev 2, not sure it works but I have the fan plugged into my mobo and the video card itself. It is dual slot but it has the benefit of exhausting air out of the case while keeping temps around 36-40 idle!

** I am pretty sure Hardforum did a nice VGA cooler roundup for the 8800gt because the stock single slot cooler was pretty bad

*** found it

Jmartin

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2003
Ty for that link! :D I think the zalman vf1000 might be the way to go for me. Its a single slot solution and it seems to cool nicely. Im particular about how much space they take up because im using them in sli as well as wanting to make sure the heatsink doesnt hang over the end of my motherboard getting into my wires etc..

JeffKozlowski

Nov 19, 2008
BFG's new warranty terms only apply to cards that were launched after Feb. 21st, 2008. Any card that was launched/purchased before that date does not require registration. That being said, your card should still be under warranty. Please let me know if you need any assistance with this.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Artic cooling S1 Rev 2 is the best :) You can run the 8800GT passive and still have your temps like 44 Idle and 60 load and its easy to install and costs about $25

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
In an Antec 900 case and a 20C ambient temperature, an 8800GT will run 38C idle and 56C full load.

Jmartin

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2003
thank you all :D Well it appears that BFG will be honoring the warranty and even set it up advanced rma :) I should be getting my replacement card next week sometime thanks to thanksgiving being this week.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Jmartin
thank you all :D Well it appears that BFG will be honoring the warranty and even set it up advanced rma :) I should be getting my replacement card next week sometime thanks to thanksgiving being this week.

I'm glad to here it. I don't like to see people get shafted by companies trying to wiggle their way out of their warranty obligations.:)

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Jmartin
Ty for that link! :D I think the zalman vf1000 might be the way to go for me. Its a single slot solution and it seems to cool nicely. Im particular about how much space they take up because im using them in sli as well as wanting to make sure the heatsink doesnt hang over the end of my motherboard getting into my wires etc..

do u know of any other single slot solutions for a 8800gt? im sick of my accelero and the turbo fans on it, it takes up 3 slots!!!! :( can't sli w/ this beast.