Suggested Hardware for Old ATX Upgrade

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I'm upgrading my Grandfather's Micron. He recently (within last 6 months) bought a computer to replace it because it was running Win95 and he couldn't get the programs he wanted to run on it...so that's pretty much the point of the upgrade, to run newer OS on it (probably XP).

The current system is a Slot One PII-233 so I figured a ps/mb/cpu/ram upgrade should cover all the bases.

PS: Antec TruePower 380 - $66.99
CPU: AMD Athlon 1600+ w/HS, Fan - $65.00
Shipping Total: $15.26 UPS Ground
MB: MSI KT3 Ultra2 - $81.00
Shipping Total: Free FedEx 2Day
RAM: Corsair 256MB DDR333 PC2700 C2.5 - $85.00
Shipping Total: $0.50 FedEx 2Day

Total Cost plus Shipping: $313.75 (prices from GoogleGear)

Comments? Suggestions? If you have better priceing please include shipping costs.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
A blank post would've been a little strange, eh ;)

Anywho...good question. The currents system has an add-on AGP card from Daimond...V330? I'll have to check my notes. I figured it should suffice for what they use if for...not a lot of gaming heh....if I end up keeping the system then it'll probably end up with the Daimond V770 Riva TNT2 card that I currently have in my current POS system when I upgrade it.

Another question I just thought of...am I wasting my money (about $12) buying a CPU with a heatsink and fan...do MB's normally come with such equipment...grr....newbie status showing through again....

Thanks to all who post!