Suggest Multiplayer Game

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
My kid wants to play a multiplayer game with me, him on his computer and me on mine.

Thing is we share a Steam account which is where most all of our games are.

How can we both play on the same game? He is too young to have his own account...

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
can you be a bit less generic? "multiplayer" can be anything.
Minecraft would be a good start ..
how old is he?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
He is 8.

Re Multiplayer: We want to play something together with each other.

Driving, shooting or portal like would be cool.

He would enjoy Minecraft, not sure I would...

We have a racing/ demo derby game on Android that works perfectly. He wins every time...

Ohh We could fire up the Wii! I enjoyed playing Mario Cart with him. He went from not being able to get around the track to trading wins with me.

Still kinda want to shoot him in the head though...

( in a game 🎮 of course)

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Well crap, the Wii does not work. Got a triwing screwdriver 🪛 and refurbished DVD drive inbound.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hmmm, maybe arcade-type, or family-friendly racing games?

- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection
- Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
- Hot Wheels Unleashed
- Redout: Enhanced Edition (this one is basically modern Wipeout meets F-Zero, but it's very fast-paced, probably not for everyone)
- Toybox Turbos
- Riptide GP: Renegade (sort of a mix between Jet Moto and Hydro Thunder, and a bit of a Wave Race 64 vibe to it as well)
- Circuit Superstars
- Beach Buggy Racing 2: Island Adventure

I do not own all of them though, make sure to check their descriptions (or reviews, or discussion forum) to see if they can be played in multiplayer.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I'm sure we have several multiplayer games on Steam already but we only have one account, so as far as I know we can't both be on Steam at the same time.

Also how would we set up a private space for just us. We don't want to drop into a server with a bunch of other people. We want just us and some Ai.

Last time I did anything multiplayer was Quake 3 Arena, or something like that.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
My son is 9, all his friends play fortnite, so he wanted to play too. I originally played with him, but he outgrew that and plays with his friends now. If you don't want to play the battle royale, Fortnite: Save the World is actually pretty good (this mode is not free). Be prepared to guard your wallet though, lots of opportunities to spend on skins.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was Quake 2 for the win. Had a great time after finding a decades old disk.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah Quake 2 or classic Doom in coop is a great idea. Also Unreal tournament '99 with bots.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Day one my 8 year old was already doing better on Q2 than I originally did in 1997 after playing for weeks. I started out easy on him, showing him around and tweeking the controls to his liking. That first day I only used a pistol 🔫 to handicap the match.

By the second day the little stinker was nearly at my skill level. His path was a little predictable allowing me the upper hand but his movement and control were already very good. I didn't stand a chance with the pistol.

By the end of the second day I was giving it my all and we were trading wins. He is a real competitor!

It took me months to get as good as he is now...

Reactions: Shmee

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Look at GOG for games too. They come without DRM so you can run them on both computers. Though to play together it would depend on the game on how it connects.
The LEGO games are good and you can play co-op on the same computer.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
UT is better bro!!...sorry.[/OldBattles]
If I can get Unreal cheap on GOG I'll get that too!

Ahhh, memories. I never did love the online multiplayer games because of lag and stress but this local server business is perfect on Q2 for just the 2 of us.

It took a little to get it set up but it wasn't too bad. Worst thing is my screen res is not supported (in the GUI anyhow). The WiFi is the cool new thing because it is so much better than we had back in 1997 when the game came out. What were we on back then, 10 base T or something? Today we have nearly zero measurable lag and don't even need to run wires. Our laptops with dGPUs more than handle the job.

The CPUs still chug to do a software render but who cares because video card.