Sue-crazy people...

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
My wife and I were discussing a scenario last night, but neither of us could agree on the legality of this subject:

Let's say a couple is hosting a party at their residence, and that there is going to be alcohol served. All of the guests are 21 and older. If one of these guests insists that he/she is not intoxicated, and that they are able to drive themselves home, can the host be held liable in any way if this guest ends up in an accident and is found to be over the legal limit?

My wife's thoughts were that the hosts provided the alcohol, and therefore would be liable. My thoughts were that the liability would be solely on the guest.

Any legal-minded people out there who would care to respond?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I thought you meant "sue crazy people" like we should all be suing people who are insane. :confused: Maybe you should change the title to "sue-crazy people" or something...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I personally belief that the host should be not responsible for anything unless they literally forced the other person to drink. Its just like when somebody leaves a bar, if they get in an accident and kill somebody you don't see court prosecuting bars do you?

This reminds me of the case I heard some people had a party and expressely told the guests _not to jump out of the upper floor window into the swimming pool_. One guest did so and successfully sued after his dumb ass got hurt. Its hardly as if the hosts had land mines setup around. If somebody does something against common sense and gets hurt on somebody else's property the person hurt should suck it up and take it instead of laying blame for their own stupidity.

Drunk drivers don't sue liqour stores either do they?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
bigsmooth, that's exactly what I thought! :)

Looks like the answer depends on the state. But it should be clear that in these times where knife manufacturers get sued because there is no warning label on the knife ("Caution: edges are sharp") that it's likely that a party host might find him/herself dragged into court - especially if the plaintiff sees a big potential payoff.

This is from the Insurance Information Institute...

A social host's responsibility for the actions of drunk guests was addressed in a 1984 New Jersey State Supreme Court ruling that a private host serving liquor could be held liable for a drunk guest's subsequent motor vehicle accident. That ruling was tempered by a 1988 law limiting social host liability and may be modified by a 1992 Supreme Court ruling that specifically applies to commercial servers. In at least 21 states, statutory language may be read to include noncommercial servers, sometimes on a limited basis according to the USDOT. In 10 other states, liability has been established by common law. However, courts in some states have ruled specifically that social hosts are not liable and that this is a matter of public policy which should be decided by the legislature. In at least three states -- Missouri, Washington and Colorado -- courts have decided that social hosts cannot be treated under the law the same way as people who sell drinks for a living.

Most of the liquor liability cases heard in state appeals courts in the 1990s limited social host liability. In Texas, the Supreme Court ruled in 1993 that the drinker, not the social host, is primarily responsible for the driver's behavior. Supreme courts in only four states have imposed liability on social hosts and in two of those states -- California and Iowa -- laws were later passed that abolished court-imposed social host liability. In Michigan, social hosts of a party where minors consumed alcohol are not liable for criminal acts of their guests other than alcohol-related automobile accidents. An earlier case held social hosts liable for the actions of minors, but an appellate court said that the earlier ruling was made in the context of alcohol-related automobile accidents.

More recently, in 1999, the Vermont Supreme Court rejected an appeal in a case that sought to make property owners liable for deaths or injuries resulting from unauthorized drinking on their property. The ruling stated that social host liability will not apply if the land owners are neither present nor furnish alcohol.

A Massachusetts Appeals Court decision in late 1995 expanded social host liability in that state. The court said that bar patrons who "pick up the tab" can be held liable if the person for whom they buy drinks injures others by negligently operating a motor vehicle. The case, the only expansion of the state's 1986 social host liability doctrine and the first appellate decision to uphold it, concerned an uncle who paid for his nephew's drinks at a bar and then allowed him to drive home.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
actually ive heard that the host are resposible, which i think its utter crap. sorry i dont have any links or fact based, but if i remember correctly something like this has happened before, where some drunk bastard got into an accident sued the party host for server alcohol and "letting" him drive. that i know of too, he won.

bitter bitter.

dam(bite)

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
People sue bars/bartenders all the time for letting someone get drunk and driving home. There are times where people are so sloshed they shouldn't get served. But if someone buys someone else a drink you can't prevent that or watch every single person.

Plus I can get utterly s-faced in legal terms yet I feel and appear completely sober. Doesn't mean I'll make 100% correct decisions behind a wheel, but to a bartender or party host I sure as hell wouldn't seem intoxicated.

Suing other people makes it easier to ignore the fact you're a complete f-up.

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
I know if the person drinking is underage then the host is responsible because it happend here when I was in High School. I don't think the host is liable if the driver is 21 or older.

Could be wrong.
D

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
So, theoretically... the host can be sued, but based on the rulings of other state courts, it probably wouldn't hold up?

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
ATLien247:

The host can be sued. Whether or not the Plaintiff will win depends on state law and the circumstances of the case.

Skoorb:
Its just like when somebody leaves a bar, if they get in an accident and kill somebody you don't see court prosecuting bars do you?

Ummm, yes you do. All the time, it is called the Dram Shop Act. It imposes strict liability on the sellers of intoxicating beverages.

Edit: Normal fee is $165 per hour. This one's free of charge. Hey, I got my Pro Bono work in!

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Have all your guests sign legal disclaimers stating that you will not be held responsible if they drink then decide it's a good idea to drive, or any other bright ideas they may have (smoking marijuana then playing in traffic, for example).

Frenchie

Oct 22, 1999
Pretender:

That wouldnt work. The drinker already assumes the risk when he drinks, thereofre whether or nopt there is an express assumption or waiver is not likely to be effective. Besides, it is the person hit by the drinker that sues the host, not the drinker that sues the host. The host, could of curse have the drinker sign an indemnity agreement.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< it is the person hit by the drinker that sues the host, not the drinker that sues the host >>

Wouldn't the person who gets hit (we'll call him the victim from now on) sue the drinker, and the drinker then sue the host? The host himself didn't run the victim over, so the host isn't directly responsible for the damage done to victim. This probably isn't how it works in real life, but it should:(

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Best bet if you are having a large party and really want to cover your a$$ is to hire a bartender. Most cartering companies also do that. Probably cost you somewere from $30-$100 an hour per bartender, but will take away your direct risk. Could also have people bring their own alchohol, seems like that would reduce your risk also, but I am not completely sure on that one.

Frenchie

Oct 22, 1999
Pretender:

It depends on state law. That is one possible scenario, but the Host may be vicariously and/or strictly liable to the victim. More than likely it will be:

Plaintiff: Victim
Defendants: Drinker and Host
Additional Plaintiff: Drinker
Additional Defendant: Host

Makes for a nice long and confusing case caption!

More than likely the person sued will be determined by who has the deep pockets...

Frenchie

Oct 22, 1999
ratkil:

Those will help to reduce liability, but not eliminate it. After all the property is in complete and direct control of the Host. The bartender will likely be considered an Independant Contractor, so you will not have to worry about Respondeat Superior liability.