Suddenly TF2 has major lagspikes

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
So yesterday everything works fine, but today TF2 is now giving me pretty bad lagspikes (especially when a few people show up on screen). It's the same on servers where I get 9 ping or 109 ping. And every so often my ping actually jumps up to around 280, making things quite unplayable. Anyone know what it could be?

I can run the game at well over max settings, and have been with no issues for quite some time. Now suddenly I'm getting problems.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Ah, that's what I forgot to mention. :)

I'm running on XP and a wired connection (Fios).

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I actually had the exact same thing happen to me recently. It pretty much made me stop playing TF2. I'd be very interested in a solution as well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe it depends on the servers? I haven't noticed any such problems before nor recently. I've played just about two hours or so ago, and no issues, all is going well and smooth. Have you tried installing new drivers or re-installing your currents ones?

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
servers I play on usualy @ 30 ping have suddenly went up to 150 today. something must be up with the steam servers.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Storm
Originally posted by: mrblotto
run WinMtr and you should be able to see where your packet loss is occurring

http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/winmtr_bin.zip

Tried that, no packet loss occuring.

However, it now seems to only affect me on certain servers, and not all. Unfortunately, one of the servers where I do lag is pretty much the only one I play on. :(

There's your answer - could be one or more of the hubs are having problems. :)

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
When this lag occurs, what happens? I've been having issues with TF2 recently where it will randomly act like there's a huge lag spike, and my screen just shakes for ~10 seconds. It's driving me up the wall, since it usually occurs at the worst possible time.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I was getting that too..I just blamed it on Hurricane Ike interrupting some internet pathways. I live in Houston and play mainly east coast servers.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
i've noticed this as well.

I will get a lag spike for 15 secs or so. Always happens at the worst possible time too.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Seems I wasn't alone then.

However, as suddenly as the lagging appeared, it's all but gone now for me. I didn't do anything about it; it simply is no longer affecting me. Weird, but I'm glad it's over.