Suck it NASA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy-Vexy

Mar 29, 2010
cveat.ru
It's amazing what a little British ingenuity and a shoe-string budget can achieve. These glorious photos of space were taken by amateur enthusiast Robert Harrison, using a cheap Canon digital camera, some duct tape and a helium balloon. In total, the rudimentary space camera cost just GBP 500 ($747) on a project which a NASA spokesman admitted would have cost them millions of dollars.Speaking to The Times, Mr Harrison explained: "A guy phoned up who worked for NASA who was interested in how we took the pictures. He wanted to know how the hell we did it." The space experts thought Mr Harrison must have used a homemade rocket to take such spectacular shots from over 20 miles above the Earth's surface.The device uses materials readily available online, including loft insulation to wrap both the camera and a GPS tracking device to protect the digital equipment from freezing temperatures of -60C (-75F). The helium balloon which lifted the camera high above the Earth's atmosphere expands to a diameter of up to 20 metres, before popping and letting the camera fall back to Earth via an attached parachute.
Million_Dollar_NASA_Photos_Beaten_by_Budget_Balloon_xlarge.jpg
http://gnews.com/science/Million-Dollar-NASA-Photos-Beaten-by-Budget-Balloon-632572225751.html!!!

---

This is at least the second repost of this topic, both of which showed less hostility and more appreciation of the accomplishment, itself.

Posted in OT, 9-14-2009.

Posted in OT, 9-14-2009.

It is interesting. It was news. It isn't political.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Well it's a good thing NASA isn't mandated with producing volumes of desktop wallpaper shots of the horizon taken from the upper atmosphere. That sure would be a huge waste of money!

I actually agree that NASA needs some serious trimming, but I'm not sure what this article is supposed to prove... :confused:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sadly this is true in this case. Layers upon layers of govt bureaucracy will that to an organization.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
This field is an emerging hobby and what the British guy did is hardly unique. You also don't even get close to space using balloons.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
1st post in P&N? what is going on here?

My thoughts exactly, I was looking to see if it is spam, can't find a duplicate post on the intrawebs. (doesn't appear to be an attack site either.)

Humm, my Spammer-O-Meter is going crazy, yet this post looks legit. the users profile points to a couple of Russian web sites (yeah, those are legit...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.