success story - my duron 650 finally works at 900 =P

Spindler

Oct 3, 2000
hi all,

just thought i'd share with everyone my trials and tribulations in this semi-first overclocking experience of mine, in the hopes that everyone can take a little breather from their busy overclocking schedules and have a few chuckles at my expense. :p:eek:

it all started yesterday 10/21/00 saturday morning. after a sixpack of coors, which gave me the needed courage, the calming nerves and the steady hands that i would desperately need to complete this mission, i set up shop in my den room. i tried to go for the pilot's dozen, which is a perequisite before all flights, but alas, i could find no more of the frosty brew.

i had did all the preliminary work of installing the mb, video card, ram, hd, cd, etc last night after work, so today i can just concentrate on getting this sytem to work right. or so i thought.

after trying for about half an eternity to install the globalwin fop38, and some painful finger torture to say the least, i just gave up on trying to use this stupid heatsink and installed the stock heatsinkfan instead. whoever made those clips for the fop38, along with the creator of the wonder bra, should be lined up in front of the french foreign legion and be shot to death. to make a long story short on the wonderbra, the reason why i hate its creator is because i once dated a very buxom blonde, with whom i had the pleasure and privilege of undressing one of the most visually stunning lingerie outfits i had ever seen. but as soon as her bra dropped the ground... so did her breasts.... and so did my jaw... as i gasped in shock.... well anyhoo, i think everyone gets the point :)

so, back to my oc story. heh. i turn the system on, one beautiful beep on POST, fdisk, partition, format HD, install dos cdrom driver, install win98, and voila! everything working great at core speed of 650mhz.

i decide to mess with the bios at this point before trying to oc. i download awdflash and yaz's special bios patch which includes both mb bios and the raid bios update. install. reboot. works great. but i notice after post, the raid bios still reads version 1.0.622, whereas i thought the new version is supposed to be 1.3.0 - i later find out that the 1.0.622 *is* the newer version?? i guess the k7t faq is kind of outdated as it says the newest one is 1.0.3. since i didnt know this at the time, i flashed bios again, and on the screen it said something to the effect that the "sum of the parts program do not match, do you want to continue?" stupid me, i click yes. reboot. system now is dead. i now have the BSOD. in my case its the blank screen of death, instead of blue screen of death. tried flashing the cmos, tried making a bootable disk with the autoexec primed for auto flashing, and it still wont work. i tried everything short of using a hammer and i cant get the system to boot back up. dam! i was doing so good too. i guess this is the part where the pilot starts to wonder if having those drinks earlier had any effect on bringing about the current situation. naaaaaaaaah. never. lol.

at any rate, i go to fry's, pick up a new k7traid mb. stopped by a local computer shop to purchase a taisol heatsinkfan only to find out it was all sold out. the guy said they just got a bunch in on friday too and it was gone in 2 days. wow these things are more popular than a drunk cheerleader at a house party! they had a bunch of fop32's and chrome orbs still. so i pick up the chrome orb for about $17.50 with tax, as the fop32 is just a slightly smaller version of the finger torture device thats also known as the fop38. no thanks. i'd rather have hot monkey sex with the devil. oh wait, i did that too. it was called my ex-girlfriend. lol. j/k. no wait, i'm not bitter about the breakup. really i'm not! GODDAM BITCH!!!! oops... how'd my fingers type that? LOUSY F*CKING TWO TIMING SLUTTY ASS PIECE OF SH*T WHORE!!! goddamit, there it goes again. i think i have tourret's syndrom for the fingers. ;)

so anyways, i install the new board and hook up the new chrome orb. wow is this thing cool looking. it looks cool in the pictures that you see on websites, but its another thing when you see it for youself. had a bit of trouble installing this as well, but nothing to bad. i didnt have to bend any capacitors to get this in, as others have stated so. so i boot up, win98 comes on, everything looks good. this time i just flash it once. and start playing with the speeds.

ok! time for some real diddley doodley wholesome fun, neighbor! i first try 700@1.5 def voltage. works great! post ok, boots into win98 ok. i try 750@1.5. same!! wow this is easy :) 800@1.5 post ok, but wont load win98. bump voltage to 1.575 and that did the trick! 850@1.700 and finally maxed it out at 900@1.825

ran the cpustabilitytest program. freezes at 1 min 53 secs. reboot. ran again. freezes at 5 min 46 secs. repeat. freezes at 7 mins 12 secs. hmmmm. should i have done a burn in? it seems like it gets more stable the longer it stays turned on as.

i decide to max out the voltage to 1.85 on 900mhz. bingo! stability test ran fine for 6 hrs 55 mins 10 secs

whew :D after a botched bios upgrade, painful and swollen fingers from installing the fop38, and some deep meaningful soul searching, (huh?) i finally got my duron 650 to run very stably at 900mhz. This is still amazingly fast for all my needs, but honestly, i'm kind of disappointed that i wasnt able to hit 1ghz. But I guess I cant really complain as the cpu came unlocked already (week23), which saved me the time and effort in having to unlock it. the tradeoff, however, is that the newer ones before week26, i think, rarely hit above 900mhz. i would've liked to have a newer one, which came locked, so i can have a better chance of hitting 1ghz. i guess every person's mileage may vary. hope this wasnt too long and rambling, but i just had another six pack before i sat down to write this so forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors
:confused::eek::Q:p:cool:

edit - well this morning when i woke up, i decided to play around with increasing the fsb a bit. i also changed some of the ram settings around. starting w/ the dram timing from HSTCLK to HSTclk + PCIclk, and DRAM TIMING of SDRAM 8/10ns to FAST, DRAM BANK INTERLEASE of Disabled to 4Way, SDRAM CYCLE LENGTH of 3 to 2 and AGP-4x MODE of Disabled to Enabled.

i then changed the fsb speed from 0 to +1 , which effectively bumped the 100mhz fsb to 101 mhz. it now ran at 910.44mhz and booted into windows! i then bumped it to +2 @ 918.72 and it works great!. but it wont boot into windows at +3 , so i set it back down at +2 , ran the stability test and it keeps freezing up after 1 to 2 mins of testing. oh well, so much for that theory... is there anything else i can do to help bump up the speed? should i change anything else while changing the FSB speed? any responses greatly appreciated!

also, the benchmarks i use to measure the speed is WCPUID and SiSoft Sandra. this reminds me of something else, i looked at my temperature last night and at both full and idle load, my cpu was at 30.0C , the MB was at 26.0C. this morning, when i woke up after leaving the cpustability test run all night, the cpu temp now reads 25.0C !!! and the board 26.0C! granted, it was raining and very chilly this morning, but are these readings accurate?? seems like they are extremely low compared to other temps i've seen posted on here. i had left the case open and just have the chrome orb and one case fan running, so its not like i did anything special.

another thing too, how do you decipher those sandra scores to tell you if you have ram running at 2-2-2 ?

===================================================================
edit 10/23 11:45am PST - ok, i tried playing around the FSB again. 110x8.0 runs stably, but its only 880mhz... everything else is unstable. guess 900mhz is the limit on this puppy. boohoo =((((

just an interesting side note, as soon as i moved my new oc'ed system from the den room and covered the case up, the temp SKYROCKETED from 26.0C mb/30.0C cpu to a 29.0C mb/47.0C cpu ! the cpu jumped a whopping 17.0C from just putting the case lids back on and moving to a more warmer room. yikes. guess i should really put some sort of thermal grease on the heatsink at least. i just slapped it on naked. huh uh huh uh huh... i said slapped it on naked. :p :eek: :D

RoadRuner

Banned
Oct 4, 2000
got any pics of those ex's? Preferably nude :)

j/k

congrats! I have a week 29 that does 950 (9.5x100). Hopefully my new ram will come in today.

You know that 112x8 is faster than 100x9.0, play around with the variations.

Also my duron will fail when it reaches 56C, so you want to keep your duron running at ~~50C during load. which is why i just went in on the group buy of the taisol ($13). I'll then shoot
for 112x9.0 instead of 100x9.5

:)

Spindler

Oct 3, 2000
thanks for the suggestions, roadrunner. i will definitely try them out today.

as for naked pictures of my exgfs, the answer is yes i do have 'em!! lol :D email me if you really want them and i'll scan 'em for ya heh :|

who did you go through on the taisol group buy? dayooper or rider? and did you get your taisol already? i emailed them both but still havent gotten a reponse back from them. if nothing comes of this group buy, i guess i'll just wait for my local store to get more in and just purchase it at $14+tax.

now i just gotta get my raid setup properly so i can have a kickass ftp server!!!

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Spindler,

Someone else sort of offered to do the group buy for slightly less, right when I was ready to go.....

I tried and think I returned every email I got and referred them back to the original thread here Taisol Group Buy

Hmmmmm...naked pics, huh? :)

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
My Duron 650 came unlocked too, :) but it doesn't seem to be a good overclocker though :( I just got it now..and while playing w/ it now.. It worked at 700 and 750 at default 1.5V but at 800 it wouldn't boot into windows...after raising the voltage a few times...still nothing. After putting it back to 650...It still wouldn't boot!! Somehow...I guess putting it at 800 for a bit corrupted the windows data cuz once I ran scandisk from a boot disk, some files were messed up. I ended up reinstalling win'98.. It ended up working then. I haven't tried oc'ing it since then. Did you change your I/O voltage? Btw, I want to see the pics too, heh heh ;)

Spindler

Oct 3, 2000
hi syber,

welcome to the naturally unlocked club :) i wonder how many of us are out there and what speeds each member is running at?

as far as your question about pumping up the I/O voltage, I didnt increase it one bit. I just moved the CPU Core voltage 0.025 at a time til it hit stable at that clock speed. here is a sample run down on the process from notes i took while i was adjusting the voltage :

650@1.500v - post ok , win98 ok (default speed, default voltage)
---
700@1.500v - post ok , win98 ok
---
750@1.500v - post ok , win98 ok
---
800@1.500v - post ok , win98 locks on logo screen
800@1.525v - post ok , win98 locks on logo screen
800@1.550v - post ok , win98 locks on logo screen
800@1.575v - post ok , win98 ok
---
850@1.575v - post ok , win98 locks on logo screen (barely posted)
850@1.700v - post ok , win98 ok
---
900@1.825v - post ok , win98 ok (not very stable in prim95 test)
900@1.850v - post ok , win98 (rock stable now)

also, try changing in the SOFTMENU from HSTCLK to HSTCLK + PCICLCK.
hope this helps. and looking back at it now, it actually was pretty easy. almost as painless as overclocking the original celerona300 to 450 ;) let us know how it goes!

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000

<< as for naked pictures of my exgfs, the answer is yes i do have 'em!! lol email me if you really want them and i'll scan 'em for ya heh >>

Well if you're gonna offer, sign me up masonjon@home.com ;)

Hey man good work on the O/C I'm planning to crank on my Athlon 550 soon, I'm hoping for 750. pretty flabby compared to a 900 duron, but hey 750s good enough for me.
What kind of thermal grease would you guys use ?

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
Please email me spindler

BTW, You should enable your profile. I know its required in the 'buy/sell' forum and its recommended in the other forums.

I was going to email you.

Are you willing to sell your FOP? how about the dead board??

LMK,
Eric

Edit: Oh yeah- just FYI, I have a Duron 600 that I got for $60 in the buy/sell forum. I just got it to post at 1133MHz woohoo!!

Dravic

May 18, 2000
Spindler,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm stable at 900(9x100) But my stystem is so much fatser at 896(112x8). My Duron 650 will do 904(113x8), at least it will now with the taisol HSF, 4 case fase and 1.85 volts, but it requires me to NOT overclock my geforce mx.

Once you start benching your rig, you will see that 880(110x8) is MUCH fatser then 900(9x100).

at 900(9x100) you memory is running at 133(100 + 33). But at 896(112x8) my ram is running at 149(112fsb + 37pci)cas 2. 112 fsb = 224 effective fsb for the ev6.

Dont be fooled either the fsb plus option DOES overclock your pci bus also, even though the manual says it doesn't.

MHZ isnt everything.. Memory Throughput is by far the biggest bottleneck in todays computers.

as for the ata100 on board controller, even though you disable it, be sure to reset the pnp configuration so your motherboard can reassign the resouces. go into the pnp menu in the bios and enable reset configuration. If you ata100 is diabled, it should disappear from you resouce listing.

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
Hmmm, I'm having some problems w/ stability even at regular 650MHZ. Need for Speed 4 and Driver aren't working well...they keep on freezing the system. What do you guys thing this could be? A ram problem? A Via problem? I know I didn't format when I switched boards from a BX system to the Via...could that possibly be it? I downloaded the newest Via 4in1 Drivers and everything... I'd hate to have to format cuz I don't have a nice backup of all my stuff... Lemme know what you guys think. Thanks. By the way, for the pics, my email is syber321@yahoo.com ;)

wizz0bang

Sep 28, 2000
Thanks for the great account of your experience! :) Funny stuff too! I'm about ready to order the parts to a similar system... just can't decide duron/celermine :(

Send me the pics too :) hehe wizz@mail.csuchico.edu

Brad

Jac59

Oct 5, 2000
Just got my 650 Duron to 900 tonight, so far so good:D
Almost sounds like my story ...hey where is that camera?(except I had a 12 pack first) ;)
Good Luck!!

Spindler

Oct 3, 2000
noriaki - artic silver compound costs about $12 and is supposedly the best out there. i'm just going to use this radioshack thermal grease i have just cuz i have it already.

iapup - i still have the fop38 sitting here next to me. i'm going to give it another shot sometime this next upcoming weekend when i have some free time. if i cant get it on again then, i'll email you. as far as the dead mb, its sitting here next to me. $160 down the drain. doh!

dravic - hmm, i'm gonna have to try out your suggestion. my system wont run in win98 very long if i bump it higher than 110x8.0 for some reason. but anything's worth a shot for faster gains:)

syber - you mentioned that you had to reinstall win98. did you download the newest driver for your video card before you installed the 4in1via drivers? if so, you may have to redo it again, but install the 4in1via drivers first. there's a good article on this on pauls unofficial k7t faq, which i dont have on this new oc'ed system...... sorry.

also, just a quick update on my oc system. with the system in my bedroom instead of the den room, and with the lid closed up, the temperature ended up skyrocketing to 28.0C mb/47.0C cpu at idle and 29.0C mb/ 55.0C cpu at full load. 55 degrees celcius!!!!! holy crap.... (i wonder if this is what his servants say when the Pope goes to the bathroom)

at any rate, i took off the case lid and temperate dropped to more manageable 28.0C mb/ and 45-46.0C cpu under full load.

as for the n3|<|<i|) pics of my exes, they shall be forthcoming as soon as i can get a new scanner. i dropped the dam thing carrying it from the garage to my bedroom!!!! aaaaahhh.... is Karma coming around to bite me in the ass??? if so, i hope Karma is good looking!!! hahaha seriously tho, i wonder if this is a sign about posting those pics? or is it just my guildty conscious playing tricks on me again?

wizz0bang

Sep 28, 2000
Your other Kt7 isn't dead. It just has bad info on the BIOS chip from the failed flash update. There are ways to hot swap the award chip (using the one on your other board) and re-flash it... but you can risk messing up BOTH chips... so don't try it yourself :) Instead e-mail Abit, they can send you a new AWARD chip with the newest bios on it... probably for shipping if you agree to send the old one back. Then you can sell the board. Or you can RMA it for $25 and they will swap it for you. Or you can send it back to whom-ever you bought it from and take their restocking fee in the a$$. Or you can mail it to me for cheap and I'll give you some $$$ :)

I'm glad it's working for you now! :) Can't wait to see those pics :) Be interesting to see what fellow comp nerds are up to :) But that damn karma thing may get me and kill my modem or something :( oh well! hehe

Take care,
Brad