Subprime Nation

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
We are thus in the position of having to borrow from Europe to defend Europe, of having to borrow from China and Japan to defend Chinese and Japanese access to Gulf oil, and of having to borrow from Arab emirs, sultans and monarchs to make Iraq safe for democracy.

We borrow from the nations we defend so that we may continue to defend them. To question this is an unpardonable heresy called "isolationism."
Heh. Pat is known for his occasionally exceptional gems... :)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: rchiu
Well, it's easy to criticize and hard to come up with solutions.

How about stop doing what is criticized as a solution.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

The problem with both the "left" and the "right" in the US is that they spend all their time and efforts fighting over what type of mansion we're supposed to purchase on our blue-collar salary.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I catch Buchanan every Sunday morning on the McLauglin Group.
I don't agree with much of what he says, but he is a Conservative, and not a Neo-Con, therefore he makes at least some sense.
And I agree we need to fix our borrowing problem. But I completely disagree with his inane belief that we somehow have "free trade" with China and that those who say its unfair trade and want to change it are wrong.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Yeah, I am sure you can talk the ignorant mass into stop doing what is criticized....

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Yeah, I am sure you can talk the ignorant mass into stop doing what is criticized....

Are you saying democracy is bad then?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I'm sure that when everybody is saying stop doing what we are doing we will.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic

Are you saying democracy is bad then?

It can be. It is up to the people to live up to their responsibility to make it work. Unfortunately Americans aren't living up to that responsibility.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So we have two Spend and Spend parties they just spend on different things. So far I think the Neo Cons have spent the most money.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Very Cool, had just about given up on Anandtech forums and then they go and add a political topic! YES! Read this article earlier today and must say it's pretty much hands down why I support Ron Paul.

Oct 30, 2004

The U.S. having economic problems and having to borrow from foreign countries? What kinda BS is this?

How can that be! The economy is strong and getting stronger! We have massive amounts of immigration (and we know how immigration automatically leads to economic prosperity) and we have free trade and foreign outsourcing. Heck, we're even using work visas to replace Americans with superior and cheaper foreign workers. Therefore the U.S. economy must be booming and Buchanan must be wrong. Free trade theory says that it must be so.

Oct 30, 2004
We let Europe to get away with imposing value-added taxes averaging 15 percent on our exports to them, while they rebate that value-added tax on their exports to us. Thus, the euro has almost doubled in value against the dollar in the Bush years, as NATO Europe begins to bail out on Iraq and Afghanistan.

We sat still as Japan protected her markets and dumped high quality goods into ours and China undervalued its currency to suck jobs, technology and factories out of the United States. Now, China and Japan have $2 trillion in cash reserves. The Arabs have an equal amount of petrodollars. Both are headed here to spend their depreciating dollars snapping up U.S. assets ? banks, ports, highways, defense contractors.

So much for our one-sided open markets and free trade policies.

It's nice to see a well-known commentator mention that our trade deficit dollars are not being used to purchase American-made goods and services, but rather that they're being used to purchase American assets. We traded our wealth--our savings--our means of production--for ephemeral consumer goods and services. The Chinese must regard the United States as an overindulgent decadent nation of morons who will soon serve them (and rightfully so).

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Yes Whipper, it's the beginning of the end for our empirical ways. You can thank our current government.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
Yes Whipper, it's the beginning of the end for our empirical ways. You can thank our current government.

Which gov't do you mean? It's not like deficit spending began with Bush, although he's admittedly done little to stop it. The Democratic Congress hasn't balanced the books either.