subnets or vlans - is this possible?

JoshNelson

Nov 5, 2017
I have a number of devices on my network and would like to isolate them by type....and I'm not quite sure how to go about it or if it's even possible. Most of the devices connect via wireless (netgear orbi RBR50 - router and 1 satellite) though a couple connect via wired connection (on a port on the main orbi router).

So - I have a few groups of various types of equipment connecting to my network. They are:

1. office equipment (work pcs, printer, etc)
2. entertainment (ps4, firetv, etc)
3. IoT devices (canary security cameras, random raspberry pi homebrew projects)
4. Guest devices (phones, tablets, etc)

All of these groups need internet access but none of them really need to access devices in the other groups. What I was trying (and failing) to do is create vlans for each group, and have separate dhcp scopes/subnets for each group (office being 192.168.1.xxx, entertainment being 192.168.2.xxx, etc).

I have the following equipment available to me:

1. netgear orbi rbr50 (router and 1 satellite)
2. a couple netgear N600 WNDR3700 routers (though I would not want to use the wireless radios on these and would want everything to use the orbi). One of these I have installed open-wrt on, the other is running the regular netgear firmware.
3. TP-Link TL-5G108E managed switch

So - my question is can I accomplish separate subnets and network isolation (vlans?) for each of these groups using the equipment that I have taking into consideration that 98% of them will connect wirelessly via the netgear orbi.