Styrofoam hole repair.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Picked up an old UMCO 4500 tackle box , like this, for the nephews. The styrofoam in the bottom tray has 2 holes in it. Some chemical/oil/whatever has eaten it away. The holes are irregular and 3" or 4" big. I've taken the foam liner out of the tray. My thought was to tape a piece of wood or plexy to the inside of the liner and use spray foam to fill the holes. Then trim the excess foam off of the outside. So, would great stuff be toxic if they toss fish or food in the cooler and what can I coat the wood/plexy with so it releases?

Thanks.

edit: $150 and it's completely full of lures and worms. Score.:D

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
could you just cut the bottom off of it and glue a new piece on? there are a few glues that are compatible with the foam. i wonder if you could paint the inside with plastidip to protect the foam? i don't know if its compatible.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
could you just cut the bottom off of it and glue a new piece on? there are a few glues that are compatible with the foam. i wonder if you could paint the inside with plastidip to protect the foam? i don't know if its compatible.
I thought about just relining the whole thing and it might be easiest. One of the holes is on the side. Needs to be closed cell, right? Wonder if Lowes/HD sells that?

The plastidip is a good idea. I was trying to figure out what I could paint it with so it's the same color.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
they have poly iso insulation sheets or eps insulation sheets, i think the eps they sell is foil faced though. i wonder if the plasti dip would stick to the foil face, then you dont have to worry about the foam being melted by the plasti dip.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'd think it would if it were etched with some chemical. There's one rattling around in the back of my brain. About 100 years ago, I worked for a plane painting company. We'd strip off the old paint and then spray on an etch so the new paint would stick better. Man, that was the nastiest job I ever had. Chemical strippers ftl.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I just remade the whole insert with foamular xps and foil tape. Might plastidip it...or not.