Question Stuttering and lag below monitor's refresh rate

Rusty Shackleford

Dec 13, 2022
Here's my configuration:

i5 6600K overclocked to 4,5 ghz with aftermarket heatsink
Newly bought RTX 2060 Super
16 GB of Ram
144hz Acer G-Sync monitor

I had just replaced my of 660 GT videocard, but I noticed some nasty low performance visual effects everytime the frame rate goes below 144 fps (my native refrsh rate).
Basically, even if I get a respectable 100 fps (or 110, or 80, generally everything slightly below 144 fps) the result looks like the game is running at sub 60 fps, with a really nasty effect.

I tried fiddling with G-sync, V-sync, anything, it just won't work. I am trying to play some old games like Starcraft 2 and Sudden Strike 4 and the scrolling lag is unbearable.
Same results on newer games like Chivalry 2.

Basically, unless the game I play runs at 144 fps or very slightly lower, I get horrible performance like the game is running at 30 fps, despite the fps counter reporting 80-100.

Video drivers are updated.
I tried removing the cpu overclock, zero results.
CPU temps are well below 60 celsius, even with overclock and cpu at 100% load.
Monitor is correctly set to 144 hz and Gsync is enabled in both fullscreen and windowed mode, according to nvidia panel.

What do you think is wrong?

Rusty Shackleford

Dec 13, 2022
Does it studder at 60 Hz?

Tried Starcraft 2 at 60 hz, yes, it still feels horrible.

I wonder what is wrong, I am pretty sure I played this game a few years ago with this monitor at 144 hz and the older videocard and I am 100% sure it didn't looked like this garbage I see now.

Could I have mounted the videocard wrong?
I just pushed it into the pci slot and connected a two power cables (8 and 4 pins if I remember well) on the top, filling the while slot.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Tried Starcraft 2 at 60 hz, yes, it still feels horrible.

I wonder what is wrong, I am pretty sure I played this game a few years ago with this monitor at 144 hz and the older videocard and I am 100% sure it didn't looked like this garbage I see now.

Could I have mounted the videocard wrong?
I just pushed it into the pci slot and connected a two power cables (8 and 4 pins if I remember well) on the top, filling the while slot.
I don't think that you installed it wrong, but I do think that your card is on it's way out. It could also be the slot that it's in. Can you try moving the card to the other pcie slot?

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
What games are you playing? Type of connection displayport/ HDMI?
With such a monitor you should be aiming at high fps/ refresh rates with G-Sync enabled (V-Sync never enabled, check in both NV panel/ games).

Rusty Shackleford

Dec 13, 2022
I don't think that you installed it wrong, but I do think that your card is on it's way out. It could also be the slot that it's in. Can you try moving the card to the other pcie slot?

Card is brand new. Very unlikely it's broken.

Are you able to try a different monitor?

or perhaps TV?

I could hook it up to a tv in next few days

What games are you playing? Type of connection displayport/ HDMI?
With such a monitor you should be aiming at high fps/ refresh rates with G-Sync enabled (V-Sync never enabled, check in both NV panel/ games).

Currently I am trying Sudden Strike 4, Chivalry 2 and Starcraft 2.
Oddly, the old ones are the ones who are performing really bad, whenever I scroll the mouse.

Where did you get the 2060 from?

Reputable online store, package was fully and properly sealed , nothing dodgy.

One common thing I can report is that in all three games CPU usage reaches 100%.
Now, I can undertand Chivalry 2, but not really in a potato game like Sudden Strike 4.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The 6600K is a serious bottleneck for the 2060 super. When the CPU is at 100% you will get frame pacing issues like you reported.

My first move would be to nuke the driver from orbit/run DDU in safe mode and install latest Nvidia drivers. If the issue continues, I'd set the resolution for the games to 4K to see if it takes some of the strain off the CPU and results in smooth gameplay.

Still no joy? Might be the PSU not being up to snuff.

Rusty Shackleford

Dec 13, 2022
Bu the "Recommended requirements" for Sudden Strike 4 are:
AMD Quad-Core @ 3.8 GHz or Intel Quad-Core @ 3.2 GHz.

I bet Starcraft 2 is even lower!

Anyway, the machine is able to deliver 80+ (very conservative estimate, it's actually much higher usually) fps in those games, yet the map scrolling feels horribly stuttery and not smooth.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
Bu the "Recommended requirements" for Sudden Strike 4 are:
AMD Quad-Core @ 3.8 GHz or Intel Quad-Core @ 3.2 GHz.

I bet Starcraft 2 is even lower!

Anyway, the machine is able to deliver 80+ (very conservative estimate, it's actually much higher usually) fps in those games, yet the map scrolling feels horribly stuttery and not smooth.
The fact your CPU spikes at 100% is the thing you should be looking at. Something running in the background eating CPU cycles maybe?

I would start with a fresh windows installation if you have that option.