AMD 3500+ (Clawhammer)
Asus A8N-E w/BIOS 1005
ATI X800XL
Corsair Value Select 1GB
2x Seagate 160GB in Raid 0
Thermaltake TR2 430W
XP Pro w/service pack 1

Problem:

The system stutters for like 1/2 second at random intervals. This happens in video, music, or games (the video and games pause and skip frames and the audio stutters) -- it is pretty annoying. I think the mouse seems to pause for a little bit too.

What I've tried and other observations:

CPU spike: none really
Apps that would cause a spike: none that I could see running
Memtest86: no errors after 2 passes
Prime95: no errors after 1 hour of torture test
3DMark 03 and 05: no errors after 3 hours
12V rail on PSU: suspiciously low at 11.48-11.62
Cool and Quiet: On
Overclocking: No
MB temp: around 100F -- thought for sure it was overheating, but it doesn't look like it
Nvidia Ntune: Ran it for optimized system
Drivers: all updated with latest version on Asus site
Hard drives: tested with seagate utility and good

Anything else I need to try out or look at? I could really use and would greatly appreciate some help on this one...

Commando8

Dec 4, 2004
I did try it with cool and quiet off and nothing happened....strangely enough though, my fan seems to run at about 3200RPM no matter what I do -- maybe I'm just missing the increase when it goes on a load...

I'm not near it right now (like 100 miles away), but I did run Throttlewatch yesterday and the CPU temps range from about 35C (no load) to like 47C (under heavy load) -- I thought that was pretty normal. I'm using the stock AMD heatsink...I'll see if I can get somebody to veryify those numbers...

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
WAIT A SECOND!
ASUS A8N-E ---> The northbridge chipset fan has a habit of failing on people. If your computer doesn't sound like a jet engine right now, then your northbridge fan failed. Contact ASUS for a new one.

Edit: If that doesn't work I'm guessing it's your PSU. 12V rail powers the CPU (you said the rail was sagging)

Commando8

Dec 4, 2004
Well the fan is going at 9000RPM, so I don't think that is it...also, the temp doesn't go above 40-41C, which doesn't seem to be in overheating range...I might have to check the PSU -- is the only way to tell to switch it with another PSU and see if that is causing the problem?

Commando8

Dec 4, 2004
Yeah, I ran memtest86 with two passes -- no errors.

I gotta say that if it is the board, Asus hasn't treated me too well. I've used them lately and been screwed on the last two before this one (an A7N8X and an A8N-SLI). I might never go with them again if the board is the problem...

imported_lostone

Jun 22, 2005
I have the exact same problem... :( I have even changed the mainboard but the problem is still there... Have you tried playing audio in Linux?

My system is :

Asus A8N-SLI
Winchester 3200+
Patriot Low Latency 2x 512Mb
Seventeam 420bkv PSU
Hitachi 160Gb Sata
WD 250Gb Sata
LG 4163B
MSI 6600GT

PS: are you using speedfan? my problems seem somewhat connected to it...

EDIT : I'm mostly tempted to say that it IS speedfan that is causing de "hiccups"

If you'd like to share experiences... catch me on MSN messenger : gabriel_rossetto@hotmail.com or ICQ : 38978264

Commando8

Dec 4, 2004
I figured it out yesterday -- there was an IRQ conflict between my wireless card (forgot to put that in specs above!!!) and other devices on my system. Once I took that out, it ran fine. I have searched all over on this and found that people are having problems when anything (modem, audigy card, etc) is plugged into a normal PCI slot. If you have anything in those slots, check to see if an IRQ conflict is present (you might want to check anyway). I seriously ran like every test available to no avail, so I wouldn't venture there either...