Stutter and fps drops in games

Drkalinium

Sep 28, 2017
Yo guys been having a fairly persistant problem and have no real knowledge when it comes to diagnosing pc issues. So in games particularly higher graphic titles like rise of the tomb raider, battlefield 1, batman arkham knight and deus ex mankind divided I get fairly frequent (hard to be sure how frequent as it varies but can be more than twice a minute) fps drops or brief stutter.

Its not so much as to make the games unplayable but does impact playability and I am worried it could be a symptom of a more serious issue. I have performed a clean install of brand new Nvidia drivers but the problem remains and has continued through a few driver updates.

I am unsure when this issue started exactly but it hasn't always been there (had my GPU for months before it developed).My fps seem good though generally and inline with what benchmarks would suggest my firestrike 1.1 score is 20,500 so seemingly no performance loss in general.https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13716318

Specs:http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nuS2aQMJJ1oSKqRXCVTTN3t

Ive ran a virus scan and tried reinstalling/updating GPU drivers

The one thing I did notice was fairly high temps for my CPU 84 degrees, my GPU is sitting at 72 max with an oc or more like 59 without it. Also I still get stutter when the CPU hasn't exceeded 65 in core temp.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you run resource monitor while playing the games? Might give you a clue.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Everything, not just cpu usage: hard drive activity, memory usage (think paging), network usage, etc.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
85 degrees is right what these cards got up to when AT tested them in March. 84 is a little hot for a 4790k, depending on what cooler you are using, and these chips don't throttle until they hit 100 anyway.

You might want to try additional programs for malware scans (superantispyware and malwarebytes are good ones).

Also, I don't game much anymore, so this may sound like a stupid question: are you online with other players when the slowness occurs, or does it happen when you are just single player?

Drkalinium

Sep 28, 2017
85 degrees is right what these cards got up to when AT tested them in March. 84 is a little hot for a 4790k, depending on what cooler you are using, and these chips don't throttle until they hit 100 anyway.

You might want to try additional programs for malware scans (superantispyware and malwarebytes are good ones).

Also, I don't game much anymore, so this may sound like a stupid question: are you online with other players when the slowness occurs, or does it happen when you are just single player?

I used to have malwarebytes I'll download and test. Um battlefield is online but I get stutter offline too it's inconsistent though I can play and get minimal or no apparent stutter or can have quite noticeable gameplay effecting amounts. Would you suggest I reseat the CPU? See if I can fix the heat.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What CPU cooler are you using? What are you using to check temps? CPUID Hardware Monitor is very good (look at temps for all 4 cores).

Drkalinium

Sep 28, 2017
I was checking temps with core temp haven't seen anything top 84 I am fairly sure I still get stutter when its around mid 60s.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Assuming temps are correct, then CPU heat is not your problem. Do you have a spare drive? Sometimes in these situations I do a simple Windows install on another drive, install just the offending game or app, and see if I can duplicate the issue, That at least will help you narrow it down a good bit.

Drkalinium

Sep 28, 2017
No not currently I think I won't have the time atm to do that. i am running a few malware runs now to see if it turns something up.

Drkalinium

Sep 28, 2017
is it at all possible it could be related to PSU? just saying since my PSU is quite old now I am not sure how long you should be using it for.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Could very well be in the OS ,.MS is said to have a fix in the Oct update for a stuttering issue

Reactions: Ketchup