Stupid question: turning my wired machine into a wireless access point?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I have googled quite a bit and found nothing helpful to me. I am running a Win7 desktop (mobo: Gigabyte EX58 UD4P), would like to keep it wired, but turn it into a wireless access point. Any useful links would be appreciated. TIA.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You're looking for Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Basically, sharing out the wireless card as an AP.

Hit up google, many guides out there.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Finally getting back to this, been busy. Anyway, im looking at this page which has the exact setup i want, but what is confusing is "4" on the host computer. What do i need to connect the wireless hub to the host pc? My mobo has two lan ports. Is that where i want to go?

EDIT: Actually, my mobo has only one lan port...

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Please explain how you currently configured and gets the Internet, and waht the additional Access Point needs to connect to? Otherwise we are going in circles.

:cool:

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I am a horrible procrastinator, but i finally got the thing running via ICS and an additional network card. Im not sure why this took so much effort, just alzheimers i guess. Anyway, one last question. I now now have the two LANs, one connected to the Netgear N600. In configuring the thing, i had to fire up my laptop (my desktop which runs the thing has no wireless network receiver). I was reading the manual that i can connect to the router directly via the ethernet cable, but i cant seem to figure out how that works.

tldr; How do i connect to the Netgear N600 for configuration purposes via the ethernet cable?