Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of that "map" is. It's certainly attractive, but it doesn't even meet the standard of "$country's over there" while waving your arm in a vague general direction.

Are we in India?
:shrugs: Lets ask that guy over there eating those weird circular rice patties. That other dude with the sword doesn't look friendly...

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
There are currently 15 "active" supervolcanoes on planet Earth. The US has 5 all by itself. Four are West of the Sissimippi and one is in lower Alaska near the Yukon territory.

Chile has 3 that look conjoined on a map.

Japan has 2, one in the North and one in the far South.

Indonesia has 2, also at opposite ends of the country.

The three remaining are in Italy, Ruskiland and NE China.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
A loaf of bread with a stamped imprint found in Herculaneum and dated back to the first century AD, bears the name of its baker. Unearthed in 1930, this sourdough loaf was baked on the morning of August 24th, 79 AD. Turned to carbon and preserved by the oven it was baked in, the loaf endured the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, remaining intact through the ages.

441546605_412624088321028_2953482929772702043_n.jpg

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
A loaf of bread with a stamped imprint found in Herculaneum and dated back to the first century AD, bears the name of its baker. Unearthed in 1930, this sourdough loaf was baked on the morning of August 24th, 79 AD. Turned to carbon and preserved by the oven it was baked in, the loaf endured the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, remaining intact through the ages.

View attachment 98345

"How's the bread?"
"Oh, it's a tad dry. Nice and crispy, though."

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Screech owls and elf owls bring home live thread snakes (blind snakes) to eat parasitic larvae in their nests. The chicks of owls that bring home the snakes experience significantly faster growth than the chicks of owls that don't.

Reactions: lxskllr
May 11, 2008
Fun to know, Dyneema fiber has a tensile strenght versus weight several times over steel.

Long ago, i read this in a physics news magazine while still at school :
Kevlar is strong but this stuff is tough enough that even a knife with a diamond edge or diamoind saw can not cut this material.
Can you imagine that ? Tougher than diamonds ?
The only way to process it, is by use of a laser or heat.
The material has a very low melting point at around 150 degrees celcius.
At least that is what i read at the time.
Anybody know if that is actually true ?

Anyway what we all love, similar material like this stuff can possible be found in nature.
Like for example in the legs of crickets or the front paws of shrimps like the pistolshrimp AKA snapping shrimp, or the mantis shrimp. Maybe the stretchy material ?
Just an interesting thing to think about.

But i just read now in this day and age of sustainability , a biobased version has also been developed :

General site :

Tools to cut dyneema fibers.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Melting point is about right. Dunno about having to burn through it to cut. Maybe in large diameters, but I have dyneema throwline, and can cut it fine with a knife. The throwline is 1.8mm, and has a breaking strength of 1k#

Reactions: William Gaatjes
May 11, 2008
Melting point is about right. Dunno about having to burn through it to cut. Maybe in large diameters, but I have dyneema throwline, and can cut it fine with a knife. The throwline is 1.8mm, and has a breaking strength of 1k#
I did found out that there are several Dyneema versions. Perhaps there is over the counter consumer material ?
And perhaps also industrial material or even army material ?

Amazing, 1.8mm diameter ! And about 1000 pounds of breaking strength or 1000 kg of breaking strength ?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
1,000 pounds. It's "professional" line. Not like they check ID to buy it or anything, but you can't walk into homedepot and find it. You have to get it online, or from an industry specific vendor. That's the only dyneema I personally use AFAIK, but it's also popular for light weight winch lines. 9mm amsteel has a breaking strength of 19,600 pounds...

Reactions: William Gaatjes
May 11, 2008
1,000 pounds. It's "professional" line. Not like they check ID to buy it or anything, but you can't walk into homedepot and find it. You have to get it online, or from an industry specific vendor. That's the only dyneema I personally use AFAIK, but it's also popular for light weight winch lines. 9mm amsteel has a breaking strength of 19,600 pounds...

Amazing that that stuff can be so incredibly strong.