Stuff you didn't know and probably don't care about

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Toxoplasmosis seems to be associated with anger disorder (IED).

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_157922.html

What's really interesting about the little parasite is that when it infects mice, it makes them fearless so it's easier for cats to catch them. And it's been implicated in various psychiatric issues for a while now. There was even a Hawaii Five O episode about it - which obviously didn't really very much to reality, but you have to give the writers some credit for that one.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Can you name this ancient sea creature? Note: this really existed, not a hoax.

031516_mr_Tully-fossil-main_free.jpg

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/true-nature-tully-monster-revealed

May 11, 2008
Last edited:

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
1n 1987 Steven Tyler was taking a break from a recording session. He and his bandmates were partying in a NYC nightclub and spotted a 'lady' at the end of the bar with an enormous head of blonde hair. When the 'lady' turned around, it was Vince Neil, lead singer of Mötley Crüe. They went back to the studio and finished a song called 'Cruisin' with My Lady' with new lyrics and a title change to 'Dude (Looks Like a Lady)'.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
1n 1987 Steven Tyler was taking a break from a recording session. He and his bandmates were partying in a NYC nightclub and spotted a 'lady' at the end of the bar with an enormous head of blonde hair. When the 'lady' turned around, it was Vince Neil, lead singer of Mötley Crüe. They went back to the studio and finished a song called 'Cruisin' with My Lady' with new lyrics and a title change to 'Dude (Looks Like a Lady)'.

Even better Aerosmith story:

In 1974 the band was in the studio working on "Toys in the Attic" and were stuck for material. They took a night off and went to the movies where, as luck would have it, they saw Mel Brooks "Young Frankenstein". When they went back to work they were still cracking up over the Marty Feldman and Gene Wilder "Walk this way..." scene and decided to work that into the lyrics of a new song. And just like that, their most famous song was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNTToXKgwZc

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
LOL! I'll never listen to those two songs the same again. Young Frankenstein is a CLASSIC! I should watch it again. Great film. Mel Brooks is a comical genius.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Scientific programs have told me deet works by disrupting a mosquitoe's ability to sense a heat source, which they depend on to help find a warm-blooded host. So it doesn't even really "repel" mosquitoes, but it makes it difficult for them to find you.

As someone who has walked into a swarm (I mean millions of them, no exaggeration) in the deep Wisconsin Northwoods and unloaded half a can on myself, I can tell you deet repels mosquitoes. Those suckers were landing on us and instantly flying right off over and over, following us everywhere til we built a fire. Just imagine standing in the dizzling rain, except those little dizzles are mosquitoes. You open your mouth to breathe, and you'll be spitting out mosquitoes. They were definitely not confused about where lunch was.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I hate it when a show like Nova turns exploratory research into scientific facts.

Last edited:

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Even better Aerosmith story:

In 1974 the band was in the studio working on "Toys in the Attic" and were stuck for material. They took a night off and went to the movies where, as luck would have it, they saw Mel Brooks "Young Frankenstein". When they went back to work they were still cracking up over the Marty Feldman and Gene Hackman "Walk this way..." scene and decided to work that into the lyrics of a new song. And just like that, their most famous song was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNTToXKgwZc

Gene Hackman??

:confused:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Funny because Gene Hackman does have a small roll in the movie.

LOL, that's what tripped me up. I went looking for the URL to link to the "Walk this way..." video and wound up watching about half the movie in various YouTube clips. Caught the Blind Harold scene and Hackman stuck in my head in place of Wilder.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Many car companies source their sheet steel from two (sometimes three) steel companies. One is usually a primary source, but to ensure their second source is still on the ball if they need to utilize them more they'll have one half of the door panels made from company A steel, and the other side from company B steel. Different facilities have slightly different steel grades and strength specs, so if you ever thought one side of your car seemed to get more door dings than the other side... you're probably not crazy.

Reactions: master_shake_

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
LOL, that's what tripped me up. I went looking for the URL to link to the "Walk this way..." video and wound up watching about half the movie in various YouTube clips. Caught the Blind Harold scene and Hackman stuck in my head in place of Wilder.

I figured that was the case. ;)

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The most shoplifted food item is . . . Survey says . . .

Cheese. Yes, we are all rodents at heart.

If one were to try to guess the most shoplifted food item, cheese would probably not top the list. However, according to a 2011 British Centre for Retail Research report, cheese is the most shoplifted food item in the world. About 4% of the world's cheese is stolen, according to the report's findings. Perhaps retail stores should be spending more time and energy in guarding their cheese products.
Experts use the acronym "CRAVED" to describe items that are most likely to be targets for shoplifters. The acronym stands for "Concealable, Removable, Available, Valuable, Enjoyable and Disposable." As cheese fits the criteria quite well, it may not be such a surprise that shoplifters prefer this food item over others. In order to avoid this issue in their own shops, some store owners are taking precautions by placing cheese products in a well-lit central area of the store that is also watched by a video camera. It is believed that much of the stolen cheese is resold to other markets or restaurants. Fresh meat, candy, and infant formula are some of the other most-shoplifted food items.
Globally, retail shrinkage is believed to be on the rise. Shrinkage is a reduction in the profits of a business. Theft, either by employees or shoplifters, causes shrinkage, as do issues with suppliers and vendors and internal errors.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-food-do-people-most-often-steal-from-grocery-stores.htm