Study finds widespread lying, cheating among teens

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
I think this survey stinks (hiccup), and is totally false (hiccup).

Signed:
Teen

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hehe, took them time to figure this out. Its like saying now that the car is a great thing, its been known for decades.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Ah, if only we could successfully emulate those older than us, all the lying, cheating, and drinking would go away. ;)

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
so how reliable is this study if all the teens are liars?

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
You people find this surprising? How many of you didn't lie to your parents or cheat on a test once in your life. I mean the going to school drunk and getting a gun so easily might be something new, but the rest of the stuff has been pretty common for years.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< They are just emulating what they see in Politics >>

They're probably emulating their parents, but haven't become good at it yet, so it's still obvious they're lying. I'm probably lying, though.

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
Yes, emulating what they see in politics. That is a good point. Except...it's not. Lying and cheating in politics have been going together since people first lived together - it's not a Clintonian innovation despite what some conservatives minds like to think.

Furthermore, people always like to bemoan the present and nostalgize the past into a creamy past of delectable good tastes, strong morals and values, better, happier, safer et cetera. It's silly. 403, while you many not have cheated, I am 20 years old and I have never cheated either. But I am sure there are similar percentage's of our generational peers who did.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
EEKS-

I was very careful in the way I worded that so as to not single any one person out. You just read between the lines what you know to be true.:D

You are right that it has been going on a very long time and will likely never end.

I thought about putting parents in there also but thought that it was implied as the last few generations have lost the discipline, work ethic and so on and are included in the teens of today.

MooCow

Oct 12, 1999
maybe they were lying about lying :) Or were to drunk to understand the questions properly. And the other ones forgot to study so they just copied what the other teens said. :)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I've cheated on tests before! Every once in a while will put a formula or two in my calculator before a test.... I've become disillusioned with school you see, I think its so much more about jumping through some hoops with very little educational merit instead of higher learning. I don't feel any guilt or remorse about cheating because of this. My college has also screwed me out of my scholarship too and that bitterness doesn't hurt either ;)

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, this is such a surprising study.....we should do something about this ASAP. :D

SHUX

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
as marla said, &quot;i haven't fvcked like that since grade school.&quot;

Pod

Feb 29, 2000
For good or for worse, we're materialists..of course you're gonna lie or fudge the truth to get a job!

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I actually did a small research project on cheating when I was in high school. Had my mom's Spanish classes fill out small surveys about whether or not they had cheated on a test. About 60%, IIRC, said that they had and would do it again. Wasn't too surprising to me at the time.

Nice to see a 'real' study backing up my claim.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Look at their role models and challenges: Clinton, the yuppie generation, Hole (in the ozone, too), modern television, vermacelli-thin supermodels, buy.com taking over the nike tour, the sears-roebuck catalog greatly shrinking, Teacher's Unions, too many pizza joints, the war on drugs, popularity of SUVs, Discovery.com posting Lame Crap Like This, the Hansons, and the list goes on.

Nevertheless, teens are repsonsible for their own self-creation and need to get in front of the freakin' ball once in a while.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's all about everyone really catching on to the fact that there is no god to fry your ass if you lie.

Its everyones' way of telling the 'righteous' that morality is an individual decision, no matter how much they think the rest of us 'masses' should bend over and 'cooperate'. ;)

Oy! =8^o