Students: 2 Volume vs Single Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
Have any of you had this option? Care to share some rationales for why you chose one over the other?

I have the choice for my next class and the book is 2000 pages. I can either buy it as one book or as a set of 2. Books this large are heavy so I suppose it would be nice to sometimes only carry 50% of it, but these classes bounce around so if I have to carry both volumes I think it would actually be heavier than if it was all together.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
I always get the ebook, then I can carry all my books around at once.

Although ideally I think I would like that too, it's not feasible for the program I'm in. I have to be able to take the book places where personal electronic devices are not allowed.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Although ideally I think I would like that too, it's not feasible for the program I'm in. I have to be able to take the book places where personal electronic devices are not allowed.

Fair enough, just out of pure curiosity... Where? Like a MRI scanner room or something? Or a power station's generator?

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
As a student, whichever option is the cheapest.

What if they're the same price? Or the difference is negligible.

Fair enough, just out of pure curiosity... Where? Like a MRI scanner room or something? Or a power station's generator?

Close. Well, that actually may come up.

We take our books with us to hospitals and most professors won't allow you to have electronic devices with you on the units. If you get caught with a cell phone in any area where a client or visitor could see you you're sent home with a 0 for the day. I suppose they haven't explicitly disallowed laptops or e-readers but it's a pretty safe inference they would be frowned upon.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
We take our books with us to hospitals and most professors won't allow you to have electronic devices with you on the units. If you get caught with a cell phone in any area where a client or visitor could see you you're sent home with a 0 for the day. I suppose they haven't explicitly disallowed laptops or e-readers but it's a pretty safe inference they would be frowned upon.

Oh cool. Fair enough, in that case I would go with the single book, I'm not a fan of duplicating things, life is complicated enough without having two volumes for every book.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Double. Convenience is all well and good, but carrying an extra 1000 pages everywhere you go is definitely not convenient.

Just out of curiosity, what class is this that needs a 2000-page course book?

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
Double. Convenience is all well and good, but carrying an extra 1000 pages everywhere you go is definitely not convenient.

Just out of curiosity, what class is this that needs a 2000-page course book?

Medical-Surgical Nursing. What about once we cover material in both volumes? I think our weekly reading assignments will either be in one or the other, but this type of information is cumulative and there's a lot of it. We have to reference our books very often.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Ask people that took the class before you what they did. It would really depend on how much back referencing you'd have to do once you get through Vol 1. Having half the amount to carry around would definitely be a big plus, but for me, the single volume would have to be about the same price or slightly less to go the two volume route.

Status
Not open for further replies.