Student Letters to Pres Bush

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Marshallj
It's amazing how they all managed not to misspell any words, yet they all said "throw bombs" instead of "drop bombs".

I think these letters are fake, not written by 7 year olds students, but by war protesters with 7 year old mentalities.

You, sir, win the grand prize.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
I'd hate to see what the letters from your kids would look like.

Dear President Bush,

Thank you for making us safe from Sadom Hoosan and the evil people in Iraq. I am glad that we are throwing lots of bombs and killing lots of the people in Iraq, because then they will be free like us. And then the price of gas will not be so high and my daddy will be happy.

Little Suzi

digitallinh

Apr 4, 2003
I think you guys missed the point on this post, I think the post was to show the beautiful innocence of children, and how fukced up we become when we grow up.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Morph

Dear President Bush,

Thank you for making us safe from Sadom Hoosan and the evil people in Iraq. I am glad that we are throwing lots of bombs and killing lots of the people in Iraq, because then they will be free like us. And then the price of gas will not be so high and my daddy will be happy.

Little Suzi

Sounds like a right thinking kid :)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Morph

Dear President Bush,

Little Suzi

rolleye.gif
Are you as dumb as you sound. Please stop posting. Thanks.

KK

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Originally posted by: elzmaddy
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Well, I know if I was President, I would definately base my administration's policy on the council of 6-8 yearolds.
rolleye.gif
Bush does remind me of a schoolyard bully actually. Got kicked in the balls on Sept 11, cried a long time, now is angry and terrorizing everyone.

Pardon me, but on Sept. 11 every person in the United States of America got kicked in the balls. Bush is merely reacting to the attack on the country he is sworn to defend.

He's not reacting to anything. He's said it himself, this is a pre-emptive strike. That kick to the balls has resulted in Bush taking a swing at anyone that even looks at America funny.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
I think you've guys have hit rock bottom, making fun of 7 and 8 years olds, wow.

Put me in front of those same 8 years olds for 15 minutes and I would have the writing the praises of what our military is doing in Iraq.

Pot... kettle, kettle... pot

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Gonad the Barbarian
That kick to the balls has resulted in Bush taking a swing at anyone that even looks at America funny.

Don't you think you are exaggerating just a wee little bit there sonny?

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
You anti-war protesters will go to the lowest denominator, won't you? First calling Bush Saddam Hussein. Second trying to get the sympathy votes from kid's letters that are brainwashed. What's going to be your next move?

cracgor

Banned
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: dcpsoguy
You anti-war protesters will go to the lowest denominator, won't you? First calling Bush Saddam Hussein. Second trying to get the sympathy votes from kid's letters that are brainwashed. What's going to be your next move?

First of all...I was antiwar not because i like saddam or want to harbor terrorists. Instead I wanted a convincing argument to goto war and did not receive one. All I got were cartoon pictures of what a mobile weapon factory may look like, and that was the best evidence.

But it is too late to be antiwar...that is over. We are at war. We need to be supportive and try to make this war work. If you can't beat the system...you need to work the system.

About the manipulating kids though...there are ignorant extremes on both sides. On oneside a college kid who enlisted with the marines for college money does not want war because he doesn't want to fight? Kid needs on the very front. or someone saying bush wants oil? I know that is not true because it doesn't make sense. On the other side you have the dumb people saying antiwar people are terrorists, or saying nuke the bastards, nuk all of em! And sure the kids don't even matter; why the hell would bush care about the opinion of people that will never be able to vote for him?

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by: cracgor

First of all...I was antiwar not because i like saddam or want to harbor terrorists. Instead I wanted a convincing argument to goto war and did not receive one. All I got were cartoon pictures of what a mobile weapon factory may look like, and that was the best evidence.

But it is too late to be antiwar...that is over. We are at war. We need to be supportive and try to make this war work. If you can't beat the system...you need to work the system.

About the manipulating kids though...there are ignorant extremes on both sides. On oneside a college kid who enlisted with the marines for college money does not want war because he doesn't want to fight? Kid needs on the very front. or someone saying bush wants oil? I know that is not true because it doesn't make sense. On the other side you have the dumb people saying antiwar people are terrorists, or saying nuke the bastards, nuk all of em! And sure the kids don't even matter; why the hell would bush care about the opinion of people that will never be able to vote for him?

You are pretty much right.

The reason not to go to war is an opinion.

The reason to go to war is also an opinion in this case

One cannot justify it to someone who doesn't believe. As I have said b4 regardless of the true motivations of Bush, I am hopeful that the war will kick out/kill Saddam and the Iraqi's will get a real democratic government and use all the money they make on their oil to make some kind of life that will actually help out everyone there.

I think that you have to use forve with people like Saddam but that is an opinion, perhaps you think you can just use economic sanctions? I am not sure what your thinking is.

cracgor

Banned
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Sxotty
Originally posted by: cracgor

You are pretty much right.

The reason not to go to war is an opinion.

The reason to go to war is also an opinion in this case

One cannot justify it to someone who doesn't believe. As I have said b4 regardless of the true motivations of Bush, I am hopeful that the war will kick out/kill Saddam and the Iraqi's will get a real democratic government and use all the money they make on their oil to make some kind of life that will actually help out everyone there.

I think that you have to use forve with people like Saddam but that is an opinion, perhaps you think you can just use economic sanctions? I am not sure what your thinking is.

I felt before war we needed weapons inspections accompanied by a military presence.

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
cracgor, Sxotty, you don't belong here. You're entirely too level-headed, and your statements are born of a cool head. I'm sorry, but in order to partake in any discussions here, you must be willing to come up with conspiracy theories both for and against the war, and respond only with sarcastic, insulting comments that result in more flames.

I believe this is mandatory. If not, a lotta people coulda fooled me!

;)

Refreshing to read, to say the least. Kudos fellas.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I'd just like to point out that, based I what I know (and I'm sorry I don't have the time to find proof of this) The Middle East (the entire middle east, not just Iraq) provides us with about 1-2% of our total Oil, which is about 20 some percent of our IMPORTED oil. And if what I say does hold as true as I believe, then I think that everyone who is saying this is about the oil is sorely mistaken, and no longer has an argument in the war debate.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think you've guys have hit rock bottom, making fun of 7 and 8 years olds, wow.

I think you guys have hit rock bottom getting 7 and 8 year olds to write letters for you. :disgust:

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: MacBaine

How are we making fun of them by pointing out that they've been manipulated by their teachers/parents into writing about something that they are incapable of understanding?

Thats an ignorant viewpoint. Do you know these children? Do you know the families? How about if I stated that all computer users are loser nerds.

Anyway.. You had better have proof if your going to accuse teachers of manipulating their students. It's an ignorant statement.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tec699
Originally posted by: MacBaine

How are we making fun of them by pointing out that they've been manipulated by their teachers/parents into writing about something that they are incapable of understanding?

Thats an ignorant viewpoint. Do you know these children? Do you know the families? How about if I stated that all computer users are loser nerds.

Anyway.. You had better have proof if your going to accuse teachers of manipulating their students. It's an ignorant statement.
Grade School's Likely No Different Than Colleges:
  • A study performed by pollster Frank Luntz of voting patterns in the 2000 election revealed that 84% of Ivy League humanities professors voted for Gore, while only 9% threw in with Bush.

A survey taken by Northwestern law professor James Lindgren in April 2001 revealed that 80% of professors in the top 100 law schools view themselves as Democrats, while only 13% see fit to identify themselves as Republicans.

151 professors were surveyed by Luntz in a poll commissioned by David Horowitz's Center for the Study of Popular Culture. Eighty-four percent backed Gore for president, nine times as many as had supported Bush.

As for party affiliation, a mere 3 percent identified themselves as Republicans compared to 57 percent who admit to being Democrats.

Forty percent of professors polled support slavery reparations for African-Americans, a number nearly four times higher than the general public.

Seventy-four percent of Ivy League faculty oppose a national missile-defense system, while only 26 percent of the American public feels the same way.

By a margin of nearly 3 to 1, professors surveyed oppose school vouchers, while the public at large backs vouchers 62 percent to 36 percent...
Oakland Schools Hold Anti-War Teach-In
  • Even parents against going to war opposed the teach-in.

"I think it sets a dangerous precedent, because then any other issue can come in that the board deems important enough to take away from the curriculum and to teach their one-sidedness," said parent Faith Luber.

DZip

Apr 11, 2000
Now I see how easily you can convince a 7 or 8 year old to deliver a homicide bomb. Get parents and teachers to tell them it is the right thing to do. At that age they still trust them. We still have some way to go before everyone recognizes the problem.

I can remember in grade school being told that in Russia the teachers were telling the children to tell them if their parents said anything against the communist party and that the communist party can be trusted as their parents can not. After the cold war ended and history was correctly written, it was documented on how teachers were training the children to spy on their family and friends. The teachers do have a right to their opinion, but to use it to influence young minds or Cornell students is wrong.

Young children do not believe adults will do them harm. This is why so many of them are victims of abuse and abduction. Kids are kids no matter where they live. In Iraq they have youth squads trained to die for Saddam, unfortunately they can no longer be considered anything other than an armed enemy and many soldiers will have those memories the rest of their lives.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Words of Wisdom fallen upon deaf ears.

They're 7 year old kids -- they have a simplistic view of the world. Is it more moral to let Saddam have another 10 years of sanctions so that he can brutalize and murder 10 times more innocent people than what the war will cost in innocent lives? Either choice would result in innocent lives being lost. The wiser choice would be the one that costs the least amount of innocent lives.

Other words of wisdom from 7 year old kids:

"Let's have candy and cake for dinner!"
"A nice stranger wants to give me a lollipop if I take a ride in his van. Can I go with him, mommy?"

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Well, I know if I was President, I would definately base my administration's policy on the council of 6-8 yearolds.
rolleye.gif
Bush does remind me of a schoolyard bully actually. Got kicked in the balls on Sept 11, cried a long time, now is angry and terrorizing everyone.

The guy who kicked Bush (and us) in the balls is the bully.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Evidently the anti-war zealots are now hiding behind little children just like Saddams's forces are in Iraq.
there we go again, next.......

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
One sentence in response to the letters written by the children:

Have you ever learned about Kohlberg's stages of moral development?

If not, then look it up...

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I did, very good read

The first level of moral thinking is that generally found at the elementary school level. In the first stage of this level, people behave according to socially acceptable norms because they are told to do so by some authority figure (e.g., parent or teacher). This obedience is compelled by the threat or application of punishment. The second stage of this level is characterized by a view that right behavior means acting in one's own best interests.

Link