studen loans now on credit history?

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I just got an email from the company that I used for student loans and they have told me that, "in compliance with the Higher Education Act and applicable regulations, must report our borrowers? credit histories to at least one national credit bureau."

Personally, I am not sure if this is bad or good. I really don't have a credit history so this may help me in the long run. Anyone know why this is happening now?

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
alright, that's strange then. I remember having to have a credit history check for an apt application and he said he only say a late payment on my phone bill.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: azazyel
alright, that's strange then. I remember having to have a credit history check for an apt application and he said he only say a late payment on my phone bill.

How is it strange? Loans are reported on your credit history - that's just the way that it is.

Are you delinquent on your loan payments? If not, then why would you expect the apt. people to say anything to you about it?

DUH.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62

How is it strange? Loans are reported on your credit history - that's just the way that it is.

Are you delinquent on your loan payments? If not, then why would you expect the apt. people to say anything to you about it?

DUH.

haha. Aren't the student loans in a different "category" too? I know they were not grouped with my credit card accounts and car loan. :confused:

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Well, I really didn't think mine did. I mean I have had a lot of trouble getting a credit card and you would think that paying a student loan for the past few years would have showed some reliability. Also, why would they be sending me this now?

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
My student loans have been on my credit report since I started paying them back years ago. It's nothing to be worried about as long as you make your payments. They are real loans, so if you have problems paying them back, it will get reported and show up on your credit report as such. If you think you're going to have a problem paying your loan payment during a particular month, you should consider contacting them and discussing your options with them. They are very lenient especially if you're suffering a financial hardship, but you have to contact them before you miss your payment(s).

techfuzz

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Huh? Student loans have always been on credit reports. Utilities (including phone bills) never have (unless they go to collection).

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Well, I honeslty have never checked it myself but I guess I should. But in doing some reading mine actually may not have been since it was from a credit union.

Adding Accounts to Your File
Your credit file may not reflect all your credit accounts. Although most national department store and all-purpose bank credit card accounts will be included in your file, not all creditors supply information to CRAs: Some travel, entertainment, gasoline card companies, local retailers, and credit unions are among those creditors that don't.

from http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/bbcr.htm

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
You have Sallie Mae too huh? I got the same thing, but it has been on my credit report for quite some time.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Dulanic
You have Sallie Mae too huh? I got the same thing, but it has been on my credit report for quite some time.

Yup. It's just weird that I got turned down for credit cards due to lack of credit history but I haven't missed a payment in years.