Stu Bykofsky: To save America, we need another 9/11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: glugglug
If another 9/11 type event occured, my first instinct would be "the unbelievably corrupt Bush administration has committed yet another atrocity."

My first instinct reading this post is...your an idiot.

That'd be "you're" an idiot. But I digress. (Hey, what's this say: Xylplyxm ?)

So calling for another 9/11 and thousands of dead americans = freedom of speech, even if idiotic

Calling someone nappy headed ho = you're fired (for a while anyway)

At least we have our priorities straight.

(not endorsing calling people nappy, or headed, or ho's, merely pointing out the respective responses)

Of course it's early, maybe this guy will see fallout, but I doubt it.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Well there does seem to be some logic to this...just look at how well the wars/attacks on muslim countries have united them against the US. Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Israel used to fight against each other...now all of them just hate the west.

Nothing like attacks to unite the enemy...it's too bad the author didn't make this correlation for the other side...doh!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: blackllotus
How about we finish the job in Afghanistan.

For that to happen any time soon, first, we have to get rid of the Terrorist In Chief and his gang in Washingstan.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As a present alpha nation, we forget what it used to be like when we were a beta nation. And more importantly what its like to be an always beta nation. But there are certain countries, due to location, that are always political footballs. To a certain extent Vietnam was one such nation as is Finland where some of my ancestor came from. But as you view the long history of these football nations, at a certain point in time, the regional super power, be it Russia or China in the cited cases, hits an expansionist phase and gobbles up its neighbors. And then tries to impose its culture on the vanquished which goes over like a lead balloon. Even though military resistance is futile, these football nations retain their own identities by resisting by largely mental means. And then the Alpha nation finally gets exhausted trying to govern those that hate it and give up what they had. The football nation then has some period of independence and that is then followed by being gobbled up again.

The point is that these cyclic swings often take hundreds of years and Iraq is just starting year five. In the larger Muslim Christian battles, the more numerous and now technologically superior Christians have been kicking military butt for something on the order of 500 years. But from the Islamic point of view, the Christians are still the same morally bankrupt louts that came in the crusades. And if you also look at their long history, what the gains the Christians win they can seldom hold because they will resisted for however long it takes. And in Islamic history, that resistance often takes 150 years to bear fruit. For them its somewhat of an expected norm.

In the modern world, can we assume that there will be only one 911 as we try to break the will of the opposition? And can you break the will of the opposition at the point of a gun?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: glugglug
If another 9/11 type event occured, my first instinct would be "the unbelievably corrupt Bush administration has committed yet another atrocity."

My first instinct reading this post is...your an idiot.

That wouldn't be my first thought, but at this point I wouldn't put anything past them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If another 9/11 is needed to "Save America", one should ask the question: Is America worth Saving?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
If another 9/11 is needed to "Save America", one should ask the question: Is America worth Saving?
Most definately...
After all the debating and complaints about the US, it's the nation I most trust to be the world superpower. Look at the alternatives: Nazi Germany, USSR, China.
I'll take the USA thank you very much.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Stunt
Most definately...
After all the debating and complaints about the US, it's the nation I most trust to be the world superpower. Look at the alternatives: Nazi Germany, USSR, China.

I agree there's much to like about America, but if it has become a State that can only function in a state of Fear and having an Enemy to wage war with, I think it is on the path of losing any Good that remains.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Stunt
Most definately...

I agree there's much to like about America, but if it has become a State that can only function in a state of Fear and having an Enemy to wage war with, I think it is on the path of losing any Good that remains.

QFT......At which point this nation would only become a hollow shell of ideals for which it was once founded on. Gaining power and control through fear and mis-directed anger is not the America I love. Those are not American values. I am sure it would be a neo-con/authoritarians wet dream living a scenario where anyone who dares to speak up and questioned their actions or the status quo is immediately shouted down or worse sent off somewhere never to be heard from again. The writer of the article is really a sick and twisted individual who has lost all rational and morals IMHO. The old motto's of "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." along with "He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." springs to mind.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
"How many times have you heard someone say ?we need to lose in Iraq? to teach our warmongering leaders a lesson?"

Let us deconstruct what this means. We were attacked, the world and the US were united against Al Quaeda. Bush used the opportunity to set into motion the Neocon Project for a New American Century and attacked Iraq. This ill advised stupidity against the wrong enemy has squandered our international good will, our treasury, our unity, and thousands of American and Iraqi lives and continues to do so. It has galvanized the radicals in Islam against us at an ever increasing rate. We've shot ourselves in the foot and are bleeding to death. And it is still going on right now because Bush can't retreat or admit defeat. His reputation, the reputation of the monsters called Neocons, the Republican party by reflection, will all finally have the last nail driven into their coffin.

So when people say we need to lose, they really mean we need to admit we lost the moment we elected Bush and his war mongering friends and the phony patriotic party that supports him but that our loss is not yet final because the morons continue to bleed us to death to stave off our death to some time when the other party takes over and defeat can be blamed on them.

So what they are saying is we need to stop the bleeding and get out, closing the book on this sad Republican disaster and admitting to ourselves and the world what a bunch of fools we were to have ever listened to them.

What Bykofsky is hoping for is a renewal of support for the war so he can avoid facing the fact he was wrong and doesn't want to face it.

Lemmings are unified in their rush off a cliff.

Let's all die united and Republican.

Mb sums up the situation for me.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
So to "save America", whatever the hell that means, he thinks that another few thousand people dead would do it, making the current terrorists doomsayers worked up into an inexplicable blather and silencing those who take issue with a war that was and is totally unrelated to terrorism?

Do you think the drugs he's on are legal and if they are, where can I get them?

Another 911 would "unite" America temporarily and silence dissention against the chimpanzee who's in office, but it would no more correct the poor course America is going down now than getting my arm cut off would fix a chronic bad back; sure, I'd forget about the bad back for a while as I watch blood hemorrhage from my shoulder, but the back is still bad and, once I get the stump cauterized I'm down less one arm and still have a bad back.

You want to know something? It's awesome being this smart.

This guy clearly understood the authors point, but did not get that that was the author's point

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Gaining power and control through fear and mis-directed anger is not the America I love. Those are not American values.
Actually, more and more they are American values. The rife self-rightousness in this country has a firm foothold in many. Many Americans, through nothing save having been born within its borders, consider themselves God's chosen people and a beacon of freedom and enlightenment in a chaotic world. They believe that America can do no wrong and will never falter or fail and will do "whatever it takes" to assert this perspective.
This guy clearly understood the authors point, but did not get that that was the author's point
Well, I do NOT understand that comment :)