stretch marks

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
I'm wanting to get rid of mine, or at least reduce the appearance of them. I've heard of a creme named mederma, anyone used it? Any other ointments or treatments that work?

whiteboyatcal

Jul 1, 2002
I've heard from female friends that Cocoa Butter (lotion that can be found at any drug store) works very well for removing stretch marks if you use it everyday for a few weeks they'll be gone permanently.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Did you gain a lot of weight?

Viper GTS

yes, several years ago, which undoubtably contributed to the problem. But the stretch marks aren't entirely due to that, I dont think. I used to do a lot of weightlifting in high school and they were partially from that as well.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
You can not fully get rid of stretch marks unless you have them surgically removed.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: whiteboyatcal
I've heard from female friends that Cocoa Butter (lotion that can be found at any drug store) works very well for removing stretch marks if you use it everyday for a few weeks they'll be gone permanently.

I have heard that as well... But I wasn't aware it would remove them, just preven them from happening (ie for pregnant women).

Viper GTS

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: whiteboyatcal

you can get rid of them permanently though lotion use?! maybe not... i too have a few on my stomach that are there from when i gained weight (which i am now loosing !!! ) and i've noticed a few marks around my arms... must be from all the weightlifting that i've recently started doing.. :-/

anyone else have some home remedies?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Yeah, I'm aware I cant make them go away entirely. <sigh>. I just wanted to reduce their noticeability. My 8 week old health kick has resulted in 17 pounds lost, but what good does that do if you can't show it off. :eek:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Stab them.

Sorry, couldn't resist; that seems to be the answer to EVERY thread these days. Cocoa butter will keep the skin moisturized and prevent stretch marks from occuring, ala pregnant women, but I don't think it will remove them. Laser surgery will, though. :) Maybe your insurance will cover it?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
Yeah, I'm aware I cant make them go away entirely. <sigh>. I just wanted to reduce their noticeability. My 8 week old health kick has resulted in 17 pounds lost, but what good does that do if you can't show it off. :eek:
How'd you lose the weight?

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
how much does stretch mark reducing surgery cost? I'm assuming since its cosmetic the costs are high.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I know the feeling... I'm 19, when I was 18 I went from 220lbs at 5'9" or so to 175lbs at 5'11 1/2"... unfortunetly, I have marks along my pecs now, from where I used to have man boobies, and just when I think they are going away I notice them for some odd reason.

They do seem to fade with time, but it's been nearly 1 1/2 years since I lose the weight and it's still there :(

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: Lucky
How'd you lose the weight?

30min-1hr of walk/run/biking a day, 4x/week weight training, calorie reduction to about 1500/day.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I have them on my back. I just went through a rapid growth period, never been fat.
They don't bother me.

Looks like the master got angry with me though...

RegaPlanet

Jul 11, 2000
I have them on my pecs, shouldes and arms from weightllifting... have had them for 6+yrs now... they don't go away altho at different times of the day they do almost appear invisible and others are dark purple. I'm sure you probably could control them with some sort of cream possibly but CPA is right. You'd need some kinda skin grafting to fully be rid of them and then still I'm not sure how natural your skin in that area would appear.