Streaming with a WD My Cloud NAS

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Hi all,

I was thinking about purchasing one of these for my NAS needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-4TB-Pers...words=my+cloud

My only concern is streaming movies from it out to my HTPC in the living room via wireless. I currently stream movies using a WD My Book (basically a USB external drive that I am sharing) and this works fine. I can have 3 movies (DVD rips) playing simultaneously on 3 separate PC with no issues.

I would think that the My Cloud NAS would give even better performance than that as it directly connected to the network.

Is anyone using this device to stream their media (DVD, BD rips) ?

Thanks,

Maiyr

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
So if i understand correctly, right now you have a shared drive that you map to from other PCs and with this new drive you intend to use the "cloud" software?
If that is correct, I dont see any reason for difference in the performance...

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Hi DesiPower,

No I do not plan to use any type of cloud software I would just create shares on the My Cloud NAS and share them out to be used for whatever. So for instance I would create a Share called Movies and then from my XBMC HTPC I would add that share on the NAS to the Movie Sources in XBMC.

I guess what I am really looking for is to see if anyone is using one of these WD My Cloud NAS's (the singe drive version) and are they happy with the media streaming performance they are receiving from it.

Thanks,

Maiyr

KY_WD

Aug 29, 2014
Hello Maiyr,

As far as I understood your post, you would like to use the WD My Cloud as a media server. You souldn't have problems when streaming movies, since like you said, your NAS device would be directly attached to the wi-fi network.
Here are the drive specifications that will give you some tips about its functioning: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Hope that I helped.

KY_WD

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Thanks guys. I think in the next few weeks I am going to buy the 4TB model and try it out. The reviews for it are all over the place with little in between. It seems either people love it or hate it. One issue I am not sure I like is the way it performs its backup using what it calls Safe Points. Form reading the manual it seems as though it starts a Full and then does Incrementals, though it does not use these terms. The concern I have is that it says you need another WD My Cloud to restore to. Anyway, we'll see if I take the plunge. I have been toying with just building my own, but I really like the fact that something like this would be pretty much silent and has such a small form factor. Even the smallest NAS I could put together wouldn't be near as small, quiet and power efficient as this thing.

Thanks all,

Maiyr

RubenJ

Nov 2, 2014
Hi guys,

In my case, I need to stream de video files from the WD MyCloud NAS to a multimedia server in the form of an Oppo BD103, including the subtitles. I have been told that if I run a SMb server in the WD, I can see the whole folder including the txt file too.

Have you tried running a SMB server in the MyCloud device? In the settings I can only see DLNA and iTunes server...

Any help would be appreciated!!