Streaming my media over the web?

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Hi guys,

I have a pretty decent sized media library that I'd like to stream over the web to my iPad, windows phone, and work PC if possible.

What is the best way to do this? I tried Plex, but it doesn't work as a service and since my HTPC gets rebooted regularly, this really isn't feasible. Unless somebody can help me get it working?

Much obliged for any help!

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Can you just put a shortcut to Plex in the startup folder so when the htpc reboots, Plex is launched? I haven't tried this, but I don't know of other programs that will let you stream to the web to your devices. Why the developers haven't gotten Plex to work as a service yet is beyond me, but I know it's been req. for quite some time. Just out of curiosity, what are your htpc specs?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Not sure what version of Plex you are running, but it does all that you are wanting. It has a setting to start on bootup, and myplex streams your local content out onto the internet onto practically anything.

You might need to dig a bit more...

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Yea, I just don't want to have to dish out money for software that likely isn't needed if the damn software ran as a service.