Streaming Media from WHS-2011 to PS3 . . and Software

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Someone else has recently posted a thread on the HTPC forum about NAS and streaming - so far, I think just a few responses.

This is more specific and focused as questions and issues go.

I have a WHS-2011 server running tip-top and with significant upgrades since beginning this year 2014.

Apparently, because of lack of communication or clueless inability to phrase the question, my brother who lives upstairs had tried and failed to access the shared server folders directly from PlayStation 3 for video and music on the server, which I'd shared to his workstation Win7 PC.

There is a simple setup for Win7 and 8 PCs to share video to the PS3, Xbox and other devices, but it requires setting up Windows Media Player on the host machine to recognize the LAN-connected device (PS3) to access the media. I really don't want to go that route with WHS-2011, for a couple reasons.

I have discovered rather quickly that there are at least a couple options available. But they must work within parameters I prefer. I'd like to have the media server software accessible from the WHS dashboard as an add-in.

There is a PlayStation Media Server (referred to also as PMS) which had been initially offered for WHS v.1. This would probably work on WHS-2011 or so there are confident indications. There were new versions of PMS for WHS-2011, the latest or version 1.90.x is available for "general Windows" as well as Ubuntu/Linux and Apple. I had originally discovered the links to the earlier PMS at the "WeGotServed" web-site, and it seemed more specific to the WHS OS. I'm hoping that the latest version would install an Add-in Button to the WHS2011 dashboard -- can't be sure until I try.

The other option I uncovered is a "freeware-standard -- pay-for-Pro" software called "Serviio" for general Windows, with a specific add-in for WHS2011.

If possible, I'd like to get comments, guidance or advice: What is the best and simplest approach? Which is the preferred software? What problems may I encounter?

I'd also be interested in options other than those two I've so far discovered.

Just a note: I might have posted this under "Software for Windows" or perhaps even "Networking" or "Operating systems" but this is about media-streaming to HTPC_ready workstations and other devices, so I thought this forum was most appropriate and likely to have more "veterans" knowledgeable about the topic and issues. Thanx.

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I pretty much ditched the PS3 as a playback device a few years ago because the only way to share media was through a DLNA server, none of which are usable as a plugin on the WHS 2011 (at least that I am aware of).

Some of the software you way want to look into are:

Mezzmo
PS3 Media Server
Tversity
Twonky
Serviio

There may even be a Plex plugin for the PS3 at this point but I don't know. (After a quick Google search, it looks like Plex plays nicely with PS3.)

With the PS3's playback limitations, you'll probably want something that will transcode on the fly, i.e. converting incompatible file types to PS3 friendly files On Demand.

Still, it will require some administration by RDPing into the WHS box, though. You can set most up where they monitor the folders and can scan for updates on a regular schedule so you could just add media to the server folder via Network Share and the software will just add it to the library at the next scheduled scan.

Ironically enough, I just dumped my Network Media Players in lieu of XBMC on Raspberry Pi and Asus Chromebox. Then I went back to managing my library with Mezzmo via DLNA/UPnP. The library was just getting too large to manage through folders and shares anymore and Mezzmo organization is so customizable that I really had no choice.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I pretty much ditched the PS3 as a playback device a few years ago because the only way to share media was through a DLNA server, none of which are usable as a plugin on the WHS 2011 (at least that I am aware of).

Some of the software you way want to look into are:

Mezzmo
PS3 Media Server
Tversity
Twonky
Serviio

There may even be a Plex plugin for the PS3 at this point but I don't know. (After a quick Google search, it looks like Plex plays nicely with PS3.)

With the PS3's playback limitations, you'll probably want something that will transcode on the fly, i.e. converting incompatible file types to PS3 friendly files On Demand.

Still, it will require some administration by RDPing into the WHS box, though. You can set most up where they monitor the folders and can scan for updates on a regular schedule so you could just add media to the server folder via Network Share and the software will just add it to the library at the next scheduled scan.

Ironically enough, I just dumped my Network Media Players in lieu of XBMC on Raspberry Pi and Asus Chromebox. Then I went back to managing my library with Mezzmo via DLNA/UPnP. The library was just getting too large to manage through folders and shares anymore and Mezzmo organization is so customizable that I really had no choice.

Thanks for your response.

I had downloaded both the earlier WHS v.1 plug-in of PMS and the 2013 "general Windows" version.

A direct web-search for "stream media from WHS-2011 to Play Station" turns up a [Sony?] Playstation web-site with directions as to how one would enable it simply by configuring Windows Media Player on WHS. This I find a bit strange, since most of the media sharing of a general nature can be done through the Dashboard.

The instructions indicate that the first step involves entering a "setup" dialog in PlayStation and setting a "stream DLNA media" feature to "Enabled." The final step involves re-entering Media Player setup on the WHS box and giving access to the newly-detected device (Playstation) to the shared media libraries.

If that doesn't work, I will install PMS after creating a checkpoint on the server, to see if I can get that to work. I don't install "new stuff" to the server haphazardly -- I don't want to brick it, because it's working perfectly and all the event logs are solid blue thru an thru.

I'm doing this mostly "90%" for my brother, and "10%" to further develop our household network configuration and usefulness.

Bro' had been complaining "it don' work. It don' work." I didn't understand what he wanted to do, since he can get the access to the shared folders in his room through his desktop computer. If he wanted, I could cable the computer DVI-to-HDMI and add his TV as a second monitor switchable with the TV remote by connection. Then I'd give him the spare "green button" Win MEdia Center remote -- still new in its carton, and either challenge him to set it up or do it myself. But he wants to do it through Playstation 3.

And mostly -- he wants to stream audio content, although he will now be able to stream unencrypted DVR which I made down here on my sig computer driving my AVR and HDTV. We already know there will be no problems with the audio content. I can stream the video material to my wireless laptop, and it doesn't miss a lick. So . . . he'll have a chance to see if it works with the Playstation.

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm doing this mostly "90%" for my brother, and "10%" to further develop our household network configuration and usefulness.
If you're really looking for a setup that is (more) useful around the house, you should consider a Plex server or a Media Browser server, and the various clients that can connect easily to those servers. I run both. You brother can buy a $70 Roku3 and have access to all the shared media. You can also get clients for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, etc.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If you're really looking for a setup that is (more) useful around the house, you should consider a Plex server or a Media Browser server, and the various clients that can connect easily to those servers. I run both. You brother can buy a $70 Roku3 and have access to all the shared media. You can also get clients for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, etc.

Yes -- thanks -- I've come up to speed about the "clients." At present, no Androids or smart-phone, or MAC -- just Windows PCs, the PlayStation 3 and the other few devices on our LAN (ONKYO AVR, Silly-dust HD Homerun PRime, . . . I think that's about "it.")

But here's the latest development -- I've yet to install any WHS add-ins. I made some tweaks in the WHS security settings, and then sought my brother to find out where an "Enable/Disable access to DLNA . . . " can be found in PS3 menus. We didn't find it, but discovered we could play Clear-QAM/unencrypted HD video-captures on the server. We tried to play audio: PS3 listed all the folders and all the artists and albums. We tried to play one.

It "Plays," but we're not getting audio. What gives? Some . . . codec?

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Yes -- thanks -- I've come up to speed about the "clients." At present, no Androids or smart-phone, or MAC -- just Windows PCs, the PlayStation 3 and the other few devices on our LAN (ONKYO AVR, Silly-dust HD Homerun PRime, . . . I think that's about "it.")

But here's the latest development -- I've yet to install any WHS add-ins. I made some tweaks in the WHS security settings, and then sought my brother to find out where an "Enable/Disable access to DLNA . . . " can be found in PS3 menus. We didn't find it, but discovered we could play Clear-QAM/unencrypted HD video-captures on the server. We tried to play audio: PS3 listed all the folders and all the artists and albums. We tried to play one.

It "Plays," but we're not getting audio. What gives? Some . . . codec?

Run this on WHS: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
It requires Java; get the latest. Risk to do the above approaches zero.

You're now done. No further fiddling required. Tens of thousands of people have used this solution with a PS3 and it works perfectly.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
my ps3 streams all the media on my whs...

there are issues though...mkv's for one...

but anything i have shared ends up in my media folder on my ps3.