Streaming content across multiple platforms

Agenesis

Nov 13, 2011
I previously had a samba server setup on Linux but the build has since been decommissioned. The server has since been replaced with a machine I recently built, the only problem I'm running into now is software incompatibility. I can no longer use Linux because my new NIC will not function under it.

Now I'm left with no choice but to replicate what I had done before but on Windows 8. I'm not doing anything complicated, just host the content on the server and have the ability to retrieve media off of it. That way all I need to do is enter a network address, browse the files from my TV/tablet/smartphone and press play.

What are some programs/protocols that you guys would recommend? Am I able to host a configurable samba server under Windows just as I did on Linux?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
I'm not a pro at these things, but I'll start. Plex (plexapp.com) is a great lil' DLNA server that allows you to do what you want. Just install the appropriate client app on each device and point the Plex Server app to the appropriate folders.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I have been using Plex Media server for about 6mths now, and while DLNA works okay, the plex clients for Andriod, IOS, browsers (myPlex), Roku, AppleTV and more, just really let the media centre shine with the media tagging and info!..i highly recommend it.

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006
I have been using Plex Media server for about 6mths now, and while DLNA works okay, the plex clients for Andriod, IOS, browsers (myPlex), Roku, AppleTV and more, just really let the media centre shine with the media tagging and info!..i highly recommend it.

Yes this is really causing me to rethink he need for the traditional HTPC. I use my main computer as the server and stream to all of my devices. One issue is cable card which is best utilized by WMC but I suspect that will change in the next year... Either due to support from the new hdhomerun prime or by the transition of love cable tv to devices.

Feb 25, 2011
I installed yesterday an iOS app called "skifta" to stream audio from the DLNA server on my NAS box.

Turns out I can use it to control my BlueRay player too. Bonus!