Stray cat won't leave, what to do?

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
cat

this cat has been hanging around my house for 2 days now and it won't leave. I've asked my immediate neighbors if they know who owns this cat, but no one knows. I felt bad for it because it hasn't eaten for the 2 days and I made the mistake of giving it some milk this morning. I won't let it inside the house because my dog would go crazy so it just sits outside my front door looking into the glass with sad kitten face :(

I don't want to call animal control because they will put it down in a week if no one claims it and I don't want to be the cause of this. what do I do?

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Put food out once every few days. It won't starve and it'll eventually find someone who feeds it every day.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
1) adopt it

2) take it to the local humane society/no kill shelter

Its a pretty cute kitty so I'd opt for #1 personally.

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
I guess you could adopt the cat and throw out the dog.... I woudln't do it, but then again, I wouldn't have fed the cat either unless I was planning on having it stay.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Is it friendly enough that you can pet it up and pick it up? If so, take it in and give it a good home. Or take it to the humane society so someone else can adopt it.

If it's not friendly, go buy some cheap cat food from Walmart or something and feed it. Eventually it will probably come to trust you and then you could adopt it and such. If it's feral though, don't take it to the HS or anything because they usually just kill them if they can't be adopted out.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
it will eventually get along with your dog....

we had a weenie dog, a chihauhau and two male cats for a while....

they got along fine..even drank from the same water container.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Dogs and cats can get along fine. We have a dog and used to have 3 cats and never had a problem. Now we still have the dog, got rid of the cats, but take care of 6-8 stray cats that live in our backyard. They all get along just fine once they god used to each other.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
No kill shelter, or feed it outside. But, by feeding it, he/she will adopt you. So you will have to be obligated to fill the kitty dish each day. Give it a dish or bowl of water too. They may not drink much, so it won't be emptied, but hose it out each day to make sure it's fresh.
If you do adopt it, and take it in, please take it to a vet. Make sure it doesn't have fleas or something that is common in cats, like UTI or Leukemia.
Also, does it look cared for? Like it recently lost it's home. This could be a win/win if so.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Dogs and cats can get along fine. We have a dog and used to have 3 cats and never had a problem. Now we still have the dog, got rid of the cats, but take care of 6-8 stray cats that live in our backyard. They all get along just fine once they god used to each other.

Yes, they can

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

You're going to turn into a crazy cat lady... :p

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I'd take it if you were closer.

I'm currently feeding every night a stray young cat on my deck. I found it out there one evening eating from my dog's feeder....and the dogs were just sitting there watching it eat their food.

I figured it much be really hungry to eat dog food. Haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but it's really cute.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Yes, they can

Aww, cute pic NF :thumbsup:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Yes, they can

Aww, cute pic NF :thumbsup:

Those two still enjoy playing with each other, as silly as they look doing it :)
I've been trying to get a decent video of it.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
shoot it.

I would have more fun hanging you from your testicles and poking you with a sharp stick.

You are a sad, sick little man.

:p

*hangs thecoolnessrune by his testicles and pokes him with a sharp stick*