Strangest thing: Win2K box getting DNS screwed up when surfing

Jun 8, 2000
Hi all.

I've got a mature 3-box LAN at home with a Win2K box as the most-used "family" machine. This box has abruptly begun to "screw up" DNS at various times when surfing, and return either "site not found" or "permission denied" or, even stranger, open up an entirely different web site. For instance, I'll type in "www.msn.com" and up will come foodtv.com's web site.... Sometimes the web site will become available if I hit refresh a number of times. It will almost always come up if I copy the URL into another window. None of the other boxes on the LAN are experiencing the problem.

In an attempt to solve, I took DNS "inside the LAN" and set up one of my Linux boxes as a caching server. Regrettably, it did not solve the problem. What steps should I take to end my nightmare?

Thanks!

-DSP

Jun 8, 2000
Great site! Excellent advise. Oddly, it didn't work.

I modified the registry to turn off negative DNS caching, and there was no effect. So, I tried ipconfig /flushdns - still no good. In fact, perhaps even worse. Now there were no good connections. So, I examined the IP returned by DNS by doing a ipconfig /displaydns and typing in the IP returned for specific hosts. For instance, Google: 216.239.36.10, and up came southwest airlines. Freaky!

Of course, when I try to surf to that IP on my Linux box, there is no site there at all.

I'm going to try a reboot and see where it takes me.

-DSP