Strange Viper 770 Ultra Artifacting...Opinions?

lowlevel

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
First off, let me say that I really haven't seen a game that this card couldn't handle at moderate resolutions and high detail.

That being said, I'm having an odd problem with it...

Without any apparent link to what I am doing (surfing the web, playing Q3, playing UT, playing CS, using Adobe PhotoShop 5.0, etc.), the display will suddenly become striped with thin white and yellow lines. A simple reboot removes the problem and life returns no normal. I don't think it's a heat issue, as I've had it happen 2 minutes after boot, and the Viper is not OC'd. The problem has persisted on three mobos, (an Asus P5A-B, a FIC SD-11, and now a Abit BE6-II) and with varying types of system RAM. My speakers are shielded, and a good foot and a half from the monitor, and the problem has survived three Windows re-installs (not for this problem). However, when I had an addition drive on my system and I was running Linux Mandrake 7.0, I *never* once had an issue with video.

Any ideas? I'd like to sell the card (I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably have to sell for half the going rate due to this annoyance), but I'd like to at least be able to explain to the person who buys it why it's doing what it does.

Any help would be appreciated...:D

[EDIT]Hmmm...I didn't mention that I've gone months at a time without a problem, but then, I've also had it happen to me consecutive times in one day. Weird... :|[/EDIT]

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
This probably won't help, but with my TNT2, I would get weird artifacts in Windows Explorer and IE. I used to run the desktop in 16 bit color. For whatever reason, switching to 32 bit color made the problem stop. I don't know if it's software or hardware that caused it. All I know is that it never happened with Netscape...

lowlevel

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Hmmm...nope, I've had it happen with both color depths both inside games and on the desktop.

Thanks for the info, though.

dner

Jul 27, 2000
Yes, I've experienced it, too. Also I experience the mouser pointer acquiring a small square of vertical lines behind it, about 1 inch square. In both cases, if I don't reboot, it will eventually lock up my pc.
I have a Diamond TNT2 Ultra. The 3.68 drivers on Diamond's ( S3 ) web site seem to work best, but I don't think they support Diablo II. Newer drivers from nvidia.com or reactorcritical.com all seem to have this problem to some extent. The Microsoft certified (WHQL) drivers appear to be the worst.

I have a dual boot system, Win98 and Win2000 Pro. The artifacts only happen in Win98.

I've also looked at the recommended BIOS settings for the Diamond 770 TNT2 on Diamond web site, and made some changes in my BIOS settings (Video ram shadow disabled, palette snoop disabled, various other setting changes) only recently so I can't say whether these settings have any beneficial effect.

That's about all I can tell you for now.