Strange USB Mouse Problem in Games

Bob1

Jan 4, 2002
Ive started getting stuttery mouse movement in all my games like Counter-Strike and RTCW. It happens when i move it quikly, like it cant process all the data its getting. Its ok for a few seconds in a game but then ill get a big pause and the curser wont move again untill i leave it alone for a couple of secs. its worse if im holding a keyboard key or theres lots of action on the screen. Could it be physicaly damaged or is it likely to be a prob with my computer? Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it. Ive reinstalled my mouse drivers (the latest intellimouse ones), Updated my bios, tweaked my irg settings and RAM, changed my sound card accelleration settings, tried different mouse settings (acceleration on and off, different speeds). Nothing helps though. I play in open GL and have V_sinc on.

My system specs:
Win 98
Intellimouse 1.1 USB
256MB RAM
AMD XP 1600+ @ 2000+
KyroII @ 178 mhz

Dunno if this is related or not but right now Windows is using 125MB of my 512MB virtual memory. Is this normal? I only have 65MB of my 256MB ram free now as well for some reason...and this is just while im surfing the web.

TIA

tecumseh

Banned
Dec 3, 2001
Are you using an optical mouse? A microsoft optical mouse? How long have you had this mouse? Maybe the mouse it broken. A similar incident happened to me last year. I was kinda hard on my optical (usb) mouse and I damaged it. Then I got all kinds of weird movements, so I bought a new mouse. Everything has been fine eversince =)