Strange USB Issue ASUS P8P67Pro 3.0

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm having some strange issues with my USB ports on my ASUS P8P67Pro motherboard.
I think it's cause is 'lightning' but I can't find any proof.

What happened:
A few days ago, just before going to bed, "boom" a thunderstruck and all lights wen out in my place. It came out of nowhere... No rain, nothing, just one struck.
So I go to the mainboard and turn on the safetyfuses and checked for things that would not work, nothing found. Except for one thing, my computer.
Because of powerfailure, the computer boots (reboots) even while it was not switched on. And I heard a strange sound comming from the pc speakers.
The sound was like someone puts something in usb and pulls it back out.
So I turned on the screen and saw some strange things on the taskbar (running win7Ultimate).
1. One black USB Icon with message that the device is not recognized.
2. The bluetooth icon was missing.
3. Graphicscard driver failed to work and was repaired (bad translation from dutch).

So I start checking everything hooked up on my desktop and saw that mouse nor keyboard was working. My USB Laserprinter could not be turned on. WD MyBook not turned on...
Switched around all the usb connectors until keyboard and mouse worked.

Now, at that moment, the upper row USB ports and the row one below those where not working (Bluetooth is the first from the upper ports, also not working). My Asus U3000Hybrid tv tuner, Laserprinter and a 4 port USB hub also not working.
Nothing showed abnormal after removing the covers of my case. No bad smell or smoke, no leds that were lit.

Now we are a few days later and I can't find the exact problem. Sometimes everything works, except for the second row of USB ports. The upper row of USB ports failed just 2 times. Bluetooth Icon is always on but from time to time I get the message that 'this computer is not findable' (sorry for the bad translation) normally this message only appears when booted. Also 2 times that the screen turns black and normal in a few seconds, leaving the message the the graphicdriver failed and was repaired.

My guess is that some peak of electricity travelled through the coax cable and got to the ASUS U3000 TV Tuner. It was connected on the second row of USB Ports. Everything that was connected on the upper row and on the second row got shocked. Printer, hub, Motherboard, (WD MyBook was recovered).

Could my thinking be right? Even if nothing happened with my TV, Cable modem... Or would this be just a coincident?
What would you guys recommend that I would do?

Hope I didn't bore nobody with my story but I would love some useful tips like for testing things or just buy new, whatever.

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
Contact your insurance holder and start a claim. Anything that may have not worked at anytime I would report as NOT working. Also check everything in the house electrical.

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks for the responce.
I started to make a claim but I need to have an estimate for the parts that will need to be repaired or replaced.
Problem is I need to pay 350 USD myself, the rest will be payed by insurance. But there will be not much to detect then 2 usb ports not working and 2 others that work from time to time.
So I guess Mobo will be changed, but what about the rest of the computer? Is there any way to detect problems that might get worse in some time?

An IT student told me that if the PSU was destroyed, there was a chance to get a whole new computer. But the Seasonic X560 is a decent PSU, I guess.