Strange spam email I just got

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
So I have multiple gmail accounts for differing levels of privacy. On one of my ultra private accounts (one I use for only a few things) I got this spam email.

God dag,

+-------------------------------------------+
Warning! This letter contains a virus which has been successfully detected and cured.
We strongly recommend deleting this letter and avoid clicking any links.
+-------------------------------------------+
[RBN Networks Antivirus]

Attempt to argue with you. Only it seems to me an' me pulled
fur her like mad, the others a hollerin' a deep, rather
the brain is adjusted to carry in england duke and armine
have only to cough you have put me still more deeply in
your debt, aunt yes, my dear. I've been puzzling about those
sordid and uninteresting. Poirot continued in down her spinning
wheel in her joy at the sound was needed the work of devastation
must begin that she has produced. In the process her nerves
abandoned that impression. No, he had never seen if i had
any idea all rightall right. I just thought i came here
this morning to attend the service that willingly, said
kilhwch, name what thou wilt. Defiance in all gradations
of note, so that, though.

It's the very first spam message I've recieved in this account, and I thought it was kinda weird and not standard spam fare.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
Could you please attach the virus from the message to this post. It'd make it about 100% better.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
why do people feel the need to POST spam mail, its worse then receiving it in my mailbox.

Well, wtf kind of spam email is it? No attatchments, no link, no telling me I won a bunch of money in Nigeria...

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
why do people feel the need to POST spam mail, its worse then receiving it in my mailbox.

Because this one happened to find its way into his super-secret DEFCON 5 Amber-alert G-mail account..

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
If that e-mail seems strange then I would guess you haven't seen too many spam e-mails. It seems completely ordinary for the spam trying to defeat spam blocking software.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Canai

Well, wtf kind of spam email is it? No attatchments, no link, no telling me I won a bunch of money in Nigeria...

It is the bad-grammar kind. Mix of Nigeria and a new spammer.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

It had an attached virus. You should read your spam mail message better. :p

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

Because this one happened to find its way into his super-secret DEFCON 5 Amber-alert G-mail account..

Indeed. It is super secret. Might even be THE super secret.

But no it's the only message I've ever gotten on that account that got auto'd to the spam folder. It wasn't the standard fare spam so I just found it an odd email.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jjones

It had an attached virus. You should read your spam mail message better. :p

So the virus got pulled off the email somewhere in internetland and they edited the email to let me know it had a virus on it?

If that e-mail seems strange then I would guess you haven't seen too many spam e-mails. It seems completely ordinary for the spam trying to defeat spam blocking software.

No I usually don't read my spam :D

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I don't understand the purpose of the spam messages that just consist of a block of text designed to defeat the spam filters, and nothing else. No links to drugs, investment scams, pr0n, etc. What is the point of those? Do they have a way of knowing whether or not the spam made it to your inbox, as opposed to the spam folder, which means the message is just a way of probing the server's spam-filtering capabilities? That's the only explanation I could come up with.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Special K
I don't understand the purpose of the spam messages that just consist of a block of text designed to defeat the spam filters, and nothing else. No links to drugs, investment scams, pr0n, etc. What is the point of those? Do they have a way of knowing whether or not the spam made it to your inbox, as opposed to the spam folder, which means the message is just a way of probing the server's spam-filtering capabilities? That's the only explanation I could come up with.

just so you will stay up and think about this.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

It could have an image that gets loaded and tells the sender who's emails are confirmed valid... ?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: QurazyQuisp
Could you please attach the virus from the message to this post. It'd make it about 100% better.

I assumed he had.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
So the virus got pulled off the email somewhere in internetland and they edited the email to let me know it had a virus on it?
I assumed that gmail did that. I have a gmail account but I never use it so I wouldn't know for sure, but it seems reasonable to think that gmail caught it and notified you.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Yes, it's to weed out invalid e-mail addresses. Spammers suck ass.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I assumed that gmail did that. I have a gmail account but I never use it so I wouldn't know for sure, but it seems reasonable to think that gmail caught it and notified you.

Hmm after a bit of googling, RBN is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Business_Network

and it looks like lots of people have been getting these spam mails with no payload. http://www.castlecops.com/p106...etworks_Antivirus.html

Maybe a new era of spam?