Strange problem with a GTX 1080 and Rocket League

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
I recently upgraded one of my systems from an RX 470 to a GTX 1080. It's much faster in all my games, except Rocket League. I seem to get these slow downs where the frame rate drops into the low teens for like a second, and it gets more frequent the longer I have been playing. It looks similar to when you have a graphics card that isn't loading the textures quick enough, and stutters for a second until everything loads into memory.

Obviously this isn't a demanding game, and it shouldn't be having problems running it.

I originally uninstalled the 470 drivers, and installed the 1080, but after I had problems with Rocket League, I uninstalled the game, and started with a completely fresh install of windows, and the latest Nvidia driver, and then a fresh install of the game on my boot SSD. Still the same issue. I switched back to the 470, and no problem, and even tried an old AMD 270, and it works great as well. I have tried my system at completely stock settings to make sure an overclock wasn't causing a problam.

I haven't noticed this problem in anything else. It's super smooth in everything else I have played.

My gaming system is:

Ryzen 1800x @4ghz
Asrock Taichi x370 (3.00 BOIS)
16GB Trident Z at 3600Mhz
MSI GTX 1080
Samsung 960 EVO NVME

Anybody have any suggestions?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What temps is the 1080 hitting? Kind of sounds like throttling. Do you have a frame cap set in Rocket League?

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
This system has a custom loop, and the GPU never tops 48c. The frame rate is set to the max of 250.

edit:

I should mention, I have tried the game with every combination of vsync and fastsync I can think of, and messed with every graphics setting there is, although it shouldn't matter with this game and a 1080.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This system has a custom loop, and the GPU never tops 48c. The frame rate is set to the max of 250.

edit:

I should mention, I have tried the game with every combination of vsync and fastsync I can think of, and messed with every graphics setting there is, although it shouldn't matter with this game and a 1080.

Have you tried setting it down to 60fps, just for kicks?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
gotta be the game itself... have you looked on Steam forums for similar reports? 1080 is pretty popular GPU.

is there a geforce profile available for the game?

Guru

May 5, 2017
Its a crappy game technically, so no wonder you are experiencing issues. Since its also an indie developer and the game is out for quite a while now, don't expect any fixes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Its a crappy game technically, so no wonder you are experiencing issues. Since its also an indie developer and the game is out for quite a while now, don't expect any fixes.

The game may not be made buy a big AAA game house, but it is far from crap. And it gets updates all the time. So not sure why you are saying these things.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I have small amounts of stutter with my 1080 Ti as well. Had no issues with Fury X.

I have tried running perf mon but it happens somewhat randomly and I have not been able to capture the data of exactly what resource is being eaten up when it happens.

No issues with other games im playing either. PUBG, RE7, DS3

Pseudoics

May 24, 2012
Try disabling HPET (High Precision Event Timer) either in BIOS or administrative command prompt in windows.

I had a similar problem on a ryzen build once I upgraded it to a Gtx 1080ti from a R9 290. In The Witcher 3 and Gears of War 4 it would perform worse than the 290. It would drop to 20fps at 720p low settings and not even average above 60fps. All other games (didn't try RL sorry) and benchmarks (3dmark, AIDA64) were fine, and wouldn't show where the bottleneck was.

Took days to troubleshoot but finally stumbling on and disabling HPET fixed it for me.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Ran Rocket League just fine on my 1080 sli before the upgrade. A few things that's caused me issues in the past that you may want to check is:

G Sync - this has caused severe frametime issues in the past. No longer an issue though.

MSI Afterburner - RTSS was causing some bad stuttering issues that was fixed by upgrading to the latest beta.

Shadow Play - the ingame overlay causes a negligible performance hit, a bit more if instant replay or recording are active.

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
Well I have yet to find the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried disabling HPET. Disabling SMT. All kinds of different memory settings. Another fresh windows install with older Nvidia drivers. All the vsync, fastsync, adaptivesync settings I could find. Every graphics setting in the game. Don't have any overlays or 3rd party graphics apps running.

Strangely I seem to be the only person having this issue. Some weird combination of the hardware I have I guess. It's just weird that it works fine with an RX 470, and an old 270, but doesn't work with a new 1080.

Guru

May 5, 2017
Well I have yet to find the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried disabling HPET. Disabling SMT. All kinds of different memory settings. Another fresh windows install with older Nvidia drivers. All the vsync, fastsync, adaptivesync settings I could find. Every graphics setting in the game. Don't have any overlays or 3rd party graphics apps running.

Strangely I seem to be the only person having this issue. Some weird combination of the hardware I have I guess. It's just weird that it works fine with an RX 470, and an old 270, but doesn't work with a new 1080.

Told you above its the game, its a crappy ass game technically.

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
Tons of crappy ass technically games that are fun to play. This is one of them.

I think we all love games that push our machines, but for me, I've probably spend much more time playing games that were not on the cutting edge, than games that are.

Reactions: Headfoot
Jul 24, 2017
I'm having the same problem with Rocket League on a similar system:

R7 1700 @3.8Ghz
Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 1080
16GB DDR4-3000
840 EVO
Latest version of Windows and drivers

As far as I can tell it's something wrong with the way the drivers interact with Ryzen and the game. I really don't know if AMD, Nvidia, or Psyonix needs to fix the problem.

Other, more demanding games (like PUBG or Mass Effect Andromeda) perform properly, and my system doesn't have any issues with other demanding workflows like Handbrake or AME encoding, so it's pretty clearly not an issue with my hardware.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
If using Windows 10 Creators Update...
According to reports on Nvidia's forums, gamers have been experiencing frame-rate drops and stuttering in various games like Overwatch, Rocket League, and Battlefield 1, even on high-end machines that should be able to handle the aforementioned titles with ease. These users claim that this issue was not present prior to the Creators Update - made available in April 2017 - which also includes "Game Mode" for better performance in games...

A Microsoft engineer has acknowledged the issue on Feedback Hub, saying that:

Thank you everyone for providing feedback and submitting traces. We have been analyzing the traces from your feedback and have identified several different problem sources surfacing as stutter in games. We have a fix for one of them in the Windows Insider build that flighted to the “Fast” ring (build 16273 and above). You can find instructions on joining the Windows 10 Insider Program here: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/how-to-pc/. We are actively investigating the remaining stutter causes and appreciate your patience on this issue.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...formance-issues-in-windows-10-creators-update

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
They've only released a fix for one issue but state they found several. Also came in here to post the article. Have the same issue in RL with 1080ti.

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
So the latest fast ring build (version 1709, build 16288.1) seems to have fixed the issue with Rocket League. It's noticeably smoother, and doesn't seem to bog down after playing for more than 15-20 minutes.

I've only had it for a few hours, so I'll update if things don't stay this way, but it seems to have fixed the issues. I would love to hear if anyone else has this fix the same problem.

Thanks for the tip amenx.

Jul 24, 2017
So the latest fast ring build (version 1709, build 16288.1) seems to have fixed the issue with Rocket League. It's noticeably smoother, and doesn't seem to bog down after playing for more than 15-20 minutes.

I've only had it for a few hours, so I'll update if things don't stay this way, but it seems to have fixed the issues. I would love to hear if anyone else has this fix the same problem.

Thanks for the tip amenx.

Worked for me too. Saw one stutter right at the beginning of my first match, after that it was butter.