Strange playback issues...help?

FuzzyReets

Jan 5, 2013
Hi folks. I'm toying around with an HTPC again for fun and I am using my GeForce 210 with the HDMI out and the audio out from the HDMI as well. I notice the following:

HTPC: Dell Vostro 220 | Core 2 Duo 7400 | 4GB RAM | Win8 x64 | Windows Drive on SSD and Data drive 2 x 160GB SATA2 RAID0

1. Local MKV 1080p files play great with VLC.
2. Play the same 1080p MKV files from my file server (i5/16gb RAM/SATA2 RAID0) drop frames constantly. GIgabit network mind you
3. Playing Vudu HDX files stutter and drop frames as well through IE and Chrome

I'm not sure here but I'm wondering if this is a video card issue? I cant' imagine it's the network as it's gigabit. I can't imagine that it's my file server because I just built that. I can't imagine that this Dell box even thought it's a little older can't blow away the specs in something like a WDTV.

I'm wondering if I upgrade my 210 to something like a 620 if that will help? I'm not sure what is going on here with these strange anomalies. I would think the Vudu stream would play better than anything as the bitrate has to be the least of the 3 scenarios. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I would start testing the network connection. Just because it's "gigabit" doesn't meant you're getting what you need from the network.

Use iperf and test the connection from the file server to the HTPC.

I would suspect if the Local MKV plays fine on the 210, then it's not that.

Check driver levels on both machines, update if needed.

What's the network topology look like?

FuzzyReets

Jan 5, 2013
Its definitely not the network. I get 80 - 150 MBps throughput. Topology is file server to Asus rt-n66u to dlink Gbit switch to the htpc. Weird right? I would get the same kind of stutter using my wdtv as well with the big mkv files but when I play them locally they're fine. Is it possible the files are just too big for the network or the core 2 can't handle the processing? Thanks for the reply.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Can you bypass the dlink switch?

All devices are wired?

I would say somethings choking up on the network somewhere based on your description.

FuzzyReets

Jan 5, 2013
I could probably try it right to the htpc ad see how that goes. I'll have to run another cable if that's the fix I suppose. Any thoughts on the vudu playback? Is it worth replacing my card?

FuzzyReets

Jan 5, 2013
And yes everything is definitely wired...

So I think my issue was that I was using Server 2012 before chopped up for workstation use. I reinstalled with win8 today and it looks like these problems have resolved. Also did tons of network transfer tests all were at least 100MBps to my HTPC. I think I'm good for the time being. Although my video keeps freezing digitally if you know what I mean. Card is possibly bad though I'm thinking based on the history. Probably not great to try to figure out problems with a potentially bad card eh?

Last. Is there any way to get 24p playback from my HTPC?

Thanks!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
bump. I'm not to knowledgable about specific HTPC cards. The GT 620 doesn't look bad though.

Glad you found the soultion. I don't know exactly what you mean by freezing digitally though?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
A quick search found some fanless GT520 or GT610 cards in the $40's, I have a fanless HD6450 in my HTPC and it works very well, those two GT cards out-muscle mine.

Octarubi

Sep 15, 2018
Try installling this (full download) https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

After install use media toolkit tweaker
Then under various tweaks (all checked for me)
Maybe the vudu to go app does not have a 32bit and 64bit version so its trying to use both codecs until I over ride windows IDK....?

After applying the tweak. I also had to push play on my vudu movie and let it play for a full minute then it should sync and play nicely

And then use that program to (tweak) disable or enable codecs that are running on windows. My HDX downloaded off line streaming content was stuttering and audio was off sync and had some freezing. So after tweaking make sure you apply and then reboot your PC. I had a tremendously improved playback after I did this. My hdx is very watchable now but the online streaming hdx version still looks better in quality so not to sure if the hdx offline is even worth downloading. Your settings may need to be set up differently however this worked for me I'm running win7 64bit, HDMI video card, 4GB RAM, 3.8GHZ AMD64. It had nothing to do with internet speed if your streaming stutters in off line mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Octarubi

Welcome to the forums. I fixed your link as it
was not working. Also, this thread you responded
to was last active over 5 years ago.

AT Mod Usandthem

Octarubi

Sep 15, 2018
OK thank you. I seen the same question in a lot of forums but more recent dates so I thought it would be OK. Is it OK?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
OK thank you. I seen the same question in a lot of forums but more recent dates so I thought it would be OK. Is it OK?

We allow older posts to be responded to as long it's not someone trying to be funny. But for people who want to contribute something positive to an older thread, that's perfectly fine. We just like to point out the thread date as many people who respond to older threads, find it via Google and don't notice the date.

AT Mod Usandthem