Strange monitor flickering

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I have a 19" ViewSonic Professional Series P95f+ CRT. I purchased it used a year ago

It's been working great but suddenly I'm get strange flickering issues. Randomly the sides of the display will bulge outward and lines will travel up and down the display.

The only electronics I have near it are three speakers.

I'm unsure of what I should do. Any help?

statikuz

Jul 30, 2006
Call Viewsonic and see if they'll be able to give you any suggestions? Depending on how old it is it could just be done for.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Could be a loose wire or solder joint.
Next time it does it, whack the monitor on the side and see if it does anything to the picture. If it does, you've probably got the loose wire or solder joint.

thestain

May 5, 2006
I got the same problem.. I think it is malware related.

I had my computer hacked, the one I have been using for work about a week ago and although I caught it early, the flickering often coincides with a small increase in cpu activity.. kind of like whoever wrote the program did it to cause the flickering.. just my theory..

could it be malware related?

The Stain

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: thestain
I got the same problem.. I think it is malware related.

I had my computer hacked, the one I have been using for work about a week ago and although I caught it early, the flickering often coincides with a small increase in cpu activity.. kind of like whoever wrote the program did it to cause the flickering.. just my theory..

could it be malware related?

The Stain

Malware eh? That would suck, but it's preferable to the monitor going out.

I'm planning to reformat in like 2 weeks anyway, so I guess I'll find out then.

The flickering seems to be fairly random, and it stops by the time I'm able to reach my arm to the monitor. :(

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
if you live in apartments/similar the source of EMI may be coming from someone else near you.
very possible.

personally, I would put 2 different CRTs in the spot where you know the EMI occurs.

this way, you'll probably be able to rule out external EMI from somebody else,
or you could try leaving your speakers on, if the EMI is great enough your speakers may buzz shortly. (i've seen CRT EMI at the same time I heard speakers buzzing)

keep us updated.