Strange Happenings...

May 31, 2001
I signed up for the forums at Baen.Com, and have posted two, possibly three times. Now I am getting e-mails that appear to originate from the forums, but are loaded with viruses. Not very good ones, it's the old "Download this attachment like a dumbass and run it!" type.

Now I cannot even get to the forums any longer. Can someone tell me if they're down? I'm wondering if someone is spoofing my e-mail addy (due to a new e-mail I got this morning) and I got banned for it.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
"the connection was refused when attempting to contact bar.baen.com" (Netscape 7.1)

"i We can't find 'bar.baen.com'" (IE 5.5)

Same thing happens from the link on their homepage. Sounds like they are aware of some kind of problem. :Q

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
"the connection was refused when attempting to contact bar.baen.com" (Netscape 7.1)

"i We can't find 'bar.baen.com'" (IE 5.5)

Same thing happens from the link on their homepage. Sounds like they are aware of some kind of problem. :Q

Hmm, these weird e-mails started about the same time I couldn't connect any longer. I wonder if they got hacked? I can't remember if I even had my e-mail displayed in my profile.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Baen has got a lot of serious issues with their webpage. I contacted them 3 weeks ago via e-mail regarding marketing and have yet to receive a response, grrrrrrr.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: DeathByAnts
Baen has got a lot of serious issues with their webpage. I contacted them 3 weeks ago via e-mail regarding marketing and have yet to receive a response, grrrrrrr.

Do you still have their e-mail? I would like to contact them regarding the forums and the virus-ridden e-mails I am apparently receiving from them, though from your account I may not get a response.

EDIT: NM, found their e-mail, phone, etc. on their site.

What kind of issues were you having with their page?

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

Do you still have their e-mail? I would like to contact them regarding the forums and the virus-ridden e-mails I am apparently receiving from them, though from your account I may not get a response.

Well they have not really been updating their site other than the Webscriptions info. In addition, their primary contact e-mail address has been down for a couple of YEARS. Oh yeah, and not responding to important (for me) e-mails is not cool.

May 31, 2001

Well they have not really been updating their site other than the Webscriptions info. In addition, their primary contact e-mail address has been down for a couple of YEARS. Oh yeah, and not responding to important (for me) e-mails is not cool.

Looking at their site, it does seem a bit unprofessional compared to others out there. They have the publishing rights to some good stuff, but a lot of the new stuff they have coming out looks a bit questionable to me. Better read it and decide though, as opposed to judging it by its cover. ;)

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001

Looking at their site, it does seem a bit unprofessional compared to others out there. They have the publishing rights to some good stuff, but a lot of the new stuff they have coming out looks a bit questionable to me. Better read it and decide though, as opposed to judging it by its cover. ;)

I've actually thought of offering to build them a new website, but that would require them to contact me though.