Strange GRUB2 behavior...disappears?

earthman

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
This has happened to me now 3 times on two different computers...I normally run a Linux distro and Windows as dual boot. I installed Xubuntu on my netbook, after Windows XP, it seemed to work fine. Then weird things started to happen...like it would boot straight into Xubuntu without giving me the menu. So I manually edited the configuration to see that in fact there was a timeout, and it worked a grand total of once, then back to the same thing, no menu just booted straight into Windows XP this time? Now, on my main computer, I have Win 7 and a fairly fresh install of OpenSuse. Everything was working fine, I could boot either one no prob, till I shut down the other night, and when I restarted, no menu, straight into Win 7. I didn't do ANYTHING that would cause this. What gives? Is there some bug in GRUB 2 that is the root of this? Why would it just disappear like that? It happened on this same computer about 3 months ago when I was using Ubuntu...one day the menu was just gone. This is really strange.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Not a fix, but holding down the SHIFT button when booting shows the menu.