Strange choices..

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
This is one of the weirdest winters I've ever seen in Pa.

Literally EVERY DAY the news has had at least one story about a house burning down. Whether it's from space heaters or stupid people doing stupid things..

NOBODY HAS HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE!

So, the Red cross steps in, and gives them shelter and clothes.

But why would you not insure the most important and (need I say?) EXPENSIVE investment you'll ever make in your life? Because there's no law requiring it like with your car?

After all, it's pretty cheap stuff considering.

Inquiring minds would like to know.:confounded:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Literally EVERY DAY the news has had at least one story about a house burning down. Whether it's from space heaters or stupid people doing stupid things..

But why would you not insure the most important and (need I say?) EXPENSIVE investment you'll ever make in your life? Because there's no law requiring it like with your car?

Nobody has homeowner's insurance? Don't most/all mortgages require it?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
You know, perhaps there SHOULD be a law mandating it. Especially for people that live in those "flood zones" in Missouri and Kansas that get free money every time the weather does its thing.

And no, FEMA does not count as insurance.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Here in Denmark, you are obligated to have a homeowners insurance, and as OP stated it would be insane not to have one.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

So these idiots paid off the mortgages and said to themselves now I'll drop that stupid house insurance? Same thing appeared after big fires in Eastern Washington. Morons.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So these idiots paid off the mortgages and said to themselves now I'll drop that stupid house insurance? Same thing appeared after big fires in Eastern Washington. Morons.
Many people will do nothing they aren't required to do, hence why the laws even exist to begin with.

There'd be no need for banks to require insurance for mortgages if everyone just got insurance because it was logical.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I've heard there are places where you can't get homeowner insurance at all. For instance where the house is too far from any fire station.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I've heard there are places where you can't get homeowner insurance at all. For instance where the house is too far from any fire station.
I was going to add to my above post, that because of the fire situation (climate change) some areas are either uninsurable or prohibitively high now.

Reactions: Ken g6

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

The Red Cross does that regardless of insurance or not. The need is immediate, and the Red Cross is local. They may not even have cloths, money, or even their car keys when they evacuate their home. They need a place to go now, not to call their insurance companies 800 number and talk to someone in another state.

We carried blankets on our fire trucks because we have rolled up on a burning home to find the resident in the yard naked, or kids standing in the snow, in PJs but no shoes.

As for your "inquiring" mind, you should think this through. What the fuck would you do if you bailed out of your home in the middle of the night is whatever you sleep in, and nothing else?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
The Red Cross does that regardless of insurance or not. The need is immediate, and the Red Cross is local. They may not even have cloths, money, or even their car keys when they evacuate their home. They need a place to go now, not to call their insurance companies 800 number and talk to someone in another state.

We carried blankets on our fire trucks because we have rolled up on a burning home to find the resident in the yard naked, or kids standing in the snow, in PJs but no shoes.

As for your "inquiring" mind, you should think this through. What the fuck would you do if you bailed out of your home in the middle of the night is whatever you sleep in, and nothing else?

Grab something while yelling for everybody to get out? But I do keep an "emergency" change of clothes and shoes, in the car, in case I end up in a snow drift with no one to tow me out. Even keep a bottle of scotch in the trunk, incase I'm in the cold for a while.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
For what it costs, it would be hard for me to justify not carrying homeowner's insurance.
Grab something while yelling for everybody to get out? But I do keep an "emergency" change of clothes and shoes, in the car, in case I end up in a snow drift with no one to tow me out. Even keep a bottle of scotch in the trunk, incase I'm in the cold for a while.
That's the kind of disaster planning I can get behind. Brandy is more traditional though, I think :p

Reactions: Pohemi

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
For what it costs, it would be hard for me to justify not carrying homeowner's insurance.

That's the kind of disaster planning I can get behind. Brandy is more traditional though, I think :p

I had Renter's Insurance in '15 when I was living in an apartment. The place above me caught fire, and in the course of putting it out, my place got a ton of water damage. I called Progressive and asked if my policy covered housing. When I explained, it took them about 90 minutes to set me up with a pet friendly suite at a Residence Inn By Marriot. Stayed there for a month while my place was cleaned , repainted and sanitized.
1644528884723.jpeg 1644528928989.jpeg
1644528955118.jpeg
1644529085968.jpeg

Renter's was 28.00 a month

Homeowner's policy is only 75.00

Why would you not buy?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I had Renter's Insurance in '15 when I was living in an apartment. The place above me caught fire, and in the course of putting it out, my place got a ton of water damage. I called Progressive and asked if my policy covered housing. When I explained, it took them about 90 minutes to set me up with a pet friendly suite at a Residence Inn By Marriot. Stayed there for a month while my place was cleaned , repainted and sanitized.
View attachment 57261 View attachment 57262
View attachment 57263
View attachment 57264

Why would you not buy?
Renter's insurance at the place I was at last year was all of $10/mo, granted it was on a house, not an apartment. My homeowner's policy is $66/mo here, it was $108/mo for a smaller, less nice house in the Midwest :D

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
And your keys are hanging on a hook by the door in the room where the fire started, so you failed to grab them as you chose a different exit.

OBTW, the scotch may give you a warm feeling, but it actually lowers your core temperature.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
And your keys are hanging on a hook by the door in the room where the fire started, so you failed to grab them as you chose a different exit.

OBTW, the scotch may give you a warm feeling, but it actually lowers your core temperature.

I keep a spare car and house key in the trunk, in case I ever lock myself out of either.

OnStar can open it by remote for me to get it. :)

I'll have to read up on the scotch. I know St Bernards have those little barrels of booze in the Alps.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Renter's insurance at the place I was at last year was all of $10/mo, granted it was on a house, not an apartment. My homeowner's policy is $66/mo here, it was $108/mo for a smaller, less nice house in the Midwest :D

Probably more in a "Metro" area.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
FWIW some states have open container laws. I've also heard you don't want to be caught drinking and being parked with the keys in the ignition.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Why would you not buy?
Renter’s insurance is one of the world’s great deals. If you rent an apartment you should have it.
Agreed. I started getting renter's insurance with my first apartment at 17yo. Back then, my primary reasoning was to cover my belongings, mostly valuable custom bicycles, and then later, computer systems, etc.

For what it costs, I've continued getting it despite my possessions not being worth much. Homeowners insurance obviously costs more than renter's insurance, but I cannot imagine owning a home and not having it. For property liability if no other reason.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Only if you're buying it. not own it.

Then it burns down, or a truck runs into it, and you're f*cked.

Not true. Basically anyone with a mortgage HAS to have insurance. Prudential lender practices, which all lenders must comply with, requires it. After all the property is the best chance they have of recovering their money if the loan goes south.

If the insurance gets cancelled then the insurer must notify the lender (certified letter in my state). If the owner doesn't provide proof of new insurance then the lender buys (very expensive) fire insurance that covers ONLY the loan) and that the owner has to pay for (cost is added to the mortgage debt). It's possible the fires you've been reading about fall into this category-i.e., someone a step or two from foreclosure, most likely.

It's entirely possible that someone who pays off their mortgage has no insurance, but as a practical matter highly unlikely.

Reactions: dank69