Story of John McCain and a filmmaker

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This article is by the filmmaker who made 'Why We Fight', a documentary about the relevance of Eisenhower's 'Military-Industrial(-Congressional) complex speech and the modern history of the Iraq war and the military culture under the Bush administration. In the film, McCain is at his best, saying that Eisenhower's warning came true, and that he favored an investigation of the Halliburton contracts.

The article is the story of what happened when McCain's chief of staff got wind of the interview in the move - including his retribution against the filmmaker.

He discusses how 'McCain the straight talker' and 'McCain the politician' battle. It's interesting as an insider story, and as an example of how McCain has changed his message at times.

It's reminiscent of how McCain called the radical right religious groups 'agents of intolerance' only to go hat in hand to them for their endorsement this election.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
McCain does not come across very well in this article and neither does well in the well researched article in rolling stone magazine.

Many people have said that the current John McCain is not the same person they knew and respected in 2000.

I guess the quest for power corrupts.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
McCain does not come across very well in this article and neither does well in the well researched article in rolling stone magazine.

Many people have said that the current John McCain is not the same person they knew and respected in 2000.

I guess the quest for power corrupts.

Not always. In this case, it appears to. An issue I've had for a long time wiht McCain is his willingness to use, to prostitute, words like 'integrity' for political expedience.