Storing my bike: Hang upside down by the wheels - good or bad?

aic

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
I would get some hangers and hang the bike on the garage beams. The hook would hook the wheels. Is this a bad idea?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
It's perfectly safe....won't warp wheels or anything.

If you think about it, you're putting your full body weight on the wheels when riding the bike, so subjecting the same wheels to only the weight of the bike itself isn't going to do a thing to them.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
I think that's the best way to store them - plus the bike is out of the way like that.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
FWIW- my road bike was something like $2500 new and that's how I've always stored it. No problems with the wheels whatsoever (and these are very lightweight rims to boot).

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Might not be good if you have a front suspension fork...the oil will run down to the top of the fork, leaving the components at the bottom dry.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Might not be good if you have a front suspension fork...the oil will run down to the top of the fork, leaving the components at the bottom dry.
Still shouldn't hurt anything unless the fork seals have crapped out. Very few forks have that kind of design these days anyway....pretty much went out with the old Mag 21's.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
That is how I store mine whenever I live in a place that I can do it in.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Still shouldn't hurt anything unless the fork seals have crapped out. Very few forks have that kind of design these days anyway....pretty much went out with the old Mag 21's.

If anything I think it might be good for a newer, open-bath design like my Marzocchi Bomber, in that it would keep the seals wet. If they were already compromised, though, it would probably lead to leakage.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
oval wheels are known to have some benificial aerodynamc properties, so don't dispair.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
oval wheels are known to have some benificial aerodynamc properties, so don't dispair.

if it's a mountain bike, this will also aid in jumping over downed trees.